IDI into a military truck

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I was looking at one of these. They only draw 45amps and can fill a 5 gallon air tank in less than 2 mins. My air gauge never gets above 110psi on the truck with the drive pump now. I hardly even have to use my brakes on the truck anyways cause they jerk so hard.

http://www.pacbrake.com/index.php?page=onboard-air-accessories

Can you use an electric compressor for brakes?
I've got a 100%duty cycle viair 450c compressor that I run my auto leveling air suspension setup on that I got from Hornblasters.com. they have all kinds of interesting elecrtic compressors going all the way up to the silly big

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I am sure I can the truck has 6 group 31 batteries on it and I am going to Up the alternator on the IDI to atleast 200 or 220amp. I have driven with the air compressor belt off and they dont use much air to engage and disengage. Also my air runs my axle and transfer case lock as well so its a must.

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Little advice from a Vet.

Anything you need or want done with your military vehicle(s), please remember that these trucks are not built with the same quality as your ford's IDI. Rockwell axles are good, but go through and replace driveline parts, brakes, and especially the wiring. It's cheap as hell. The older trucks are built a bit better, but the vehicles are designed for a max of 55 miles an hour. You go over that and you destroy the military tires, brakes, u-joints, EVERYTHING. Believe me, spending 13 hours rebuilding the first seargeant's Humvee was NOT fun.

If you need ANYTHING on military vehicles I have a stockpile of PDF documents. Ask anything and I will do my best to help. As for switching in different engines etc, GET RID OF AUTOMATIC TRANNIES if they are the "stock" military ones. they crack all the way around the bellhousing ( don't ask how I know this about a 5 ton) and shove backwards into the transfer case destroying the transfer case and the short shaft driveline.:puke:

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Brakes

Can you use an electric compressor for brakes?
I've got a 100%duty cycle viair 450c compressor that I run my auto leveling air suspension setup on that I got from Hornblasters.com. they have all kinds of interesting elecrtic compressors going all the way up to the silly big

Two problems with this. 1) make sure you have a water separator in-line unless you like draining the air tanks every 10 miles (example given) due to water buildup. 2) if you use a electric pump, hook 2 up. (one as a spare), and make sure to make shut off valves on the lines in case of damage. some brakes is better than none. Lastly as per part 2, you have to make sure to match the CFM of the pump to the capacity of the tanks vs. the usage of foot on pedal. Doesn't do any good to have a pump that cant keep the tanks at 120PSI operating pressure.

My suggestion would be to find a tractor, truck, or other smaller air brake vehicle (perhaps a school bus) and see if the air pump will transplant. As I have never done this nor looked into it, I can not advise further.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Anything you need or want done with your military vehicle(s), please remember that these trucks are not built with the same quality as your ford's IDI. Rockwell axles are good, but go through and replace driveline parts, brakes, and especially the wiring. It's cheap as hell. The older trucks are built a bit better, but the vehicles are designed for a max of 55 miles an hour. You go over that and you destroy the military tires, brakes, u-joints, EVERYTHING. Believe me, spending 13 hours rebuilding the first seargeant's Humvee was NOT fun.

If you need ANYTHING on military vehicles I have a stockpile of PDF documents. Ask anything and I will do my best to help. As for switching in different engines etc, GET RID OF AUTOMATIC TRANNIES if they are the "stock" military ones. they crack all the way around the bellhousing ( don't ask how I know this about a 5 ton) and shove backwards into the transfer case destroying the transfer case and the short shaft driveline.:puke:

Its an old M54 series truck so its nothing like an 818 or probably anything you worked on other than maybe a m35 is the closest relative. The 5 ton rockwells can handle 70+ mph without issue. I currently have 14.00s on the truck right now which give it a top speed of 62 with the LDS. I am going to keep the spicer 5 speed since it is direct drive @ .85 final. and swapping on 16.00 michelins that are 28 ply rating. there is no way the 20k lb truck is going to wear them out

I do have a complete fuel injected 460 with the computer system and everything i thought bout putting in the truck, but I honestly dont want to get 3 gallons to the mile.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Ok so yesterday and today we got some of the work done to the M-61. Got the old 6cylinder pulled out and what not, I tore into it just to see what was wrong. Has a nice crack in 2 pistons. We tore into the head with the engine still in the truck to help it lose some weight for the excavator to pull it out. All in all it took me around 2 hours to get the engine and transmission removed. not including tearing into the head. Yeah it was worn out. So I am going to refresh my 6.9 i picked up with some new head gaskets and arp studs and go to some 7.3 rockers. I sent russ an email on getting a camshaft from him since I am not going to be doing a turbo right now. I want to get it all in and setup and see how it does first.

I had an old non running idi laying around so I hooked the excavator to it and eased it over into the engine bay. I am going to have TONS of room. oil pan has about about 6 inches clearance to the axle. and I have 4 inches to each side of the frame to the exhaust manifolds. I have almost 15inches from where the radiator sits to the fan blade. I think it will be easy. the exhaust around the driveline is going to give me tons of room to make the turn. For protection I will be relocating the oil filter to a remote just incase it throws a u joint. So the parts list qoutes I am going off of for what i will need and how i fixed some issues.
Running my stock air compressor remotely mounted with a electric motor. So I can have air with the engine off. So if i need to air tires or change a flat if the engine is dead.
AGR power steering pump that runs 1500psi and can move 7gpm for my mammoth PS system.Luckily the clutch that came out of the school bus was a 14" disc and the one for the Spicer 6000 series I have now is 14 7/8"

Exhaust $250
Coolant Filter kit $60
Remote oil filter kit $60
All belts $18
7 gallons of CAT ELC $75
Oil and Filter $50
1/4 HP electric motor with pulley $100
AGR Saginaw Super Pump $370
Head studs $245
All Gaskets $250
Used accelerator pedal system $40
Custom made accel cable $50
Misc things $100

Luckily the Injectors and pump were replaced at 103k and its only got a few more miles on it now. I will be adding some pictures tomorrow.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I have been told its an Ok swap must most folks consider the IDIs to be turds. I did the figures and math and prices on doing the moose pumps, misters, cam, turbo, and all the bells and whistles and the engine would NEVER hurt anything behind it, tranny, transfer case, or axles. Heck I figured with all the mods you could do to an IDI and it would hold its own. Compared to me installing a DT466. The engine bay is too short for a 250 cummins like the 818s.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're spending all that money on it, it would really be a shame not to at least turbo and intercool the truck, however with that much room to work, I can imagine it would be no problem to add those goodies later. With a little work you can easily get to the 200HP/425 tq mark and if you really went all out on a build such as the NMB2 build on another forum you could squeeze more power out of it than that but the 200+ and 425+ is doable with just a standard turbo kit, a "hot" IP and not much else. It does kind of sound like you know how to turn up an IDI and maybe just don't want to right now. Another thing you are probably aware of is that the governor and almost certainly the fueling curves are different on the IDIs from school buses and other IH applications compared to Ford trucks and vans. They limit out at around 2800 rpm whereas a stock Ford pump limits at 33-3400.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
If you're spending all that money on it, it would really be a shame not to at least turbo and intercool the truck, however with that much room to work, I can imagine it would be no problem to add those goodies later. With a little work you can easily get to the 200HP/425 tq mark and if you really went all out on a build such as the NMB2 build on another forum you could squeeze more power out of it than that but the 200+ and 425+ is doable with just a standard turbo kit, a "hot" IP and not much else. It does kind of sound like you know how to turn up an IDI and maybe just don't want to right now. Another thing you are probably aware of is that the governor and almost certainly the fueling curves are different on the IDIs from school buses and other IH applications compared to Ford trucks and vans. They limit out at around 2800 rpm whereas a stock Ford pump limits at 33-3400.

I was debating about running the 6.2 spring to get the rpms up but I will not do it until I have put some miles on the truck and gotten it broke in. my 6x6 is extremely heavy 20klbs and is sprag operated 6x6 meaning that my front is always lock but the transfer case doesn't engage until my rear tires slip. If you are not careful if would be very easy to redline @ 3400 and not know it because you have so much driveline and gear noise on the truck. I have driven a deuce with a 6.2L swapped in and you still have to have hearing protection to drive it due to all the noise. I am going to get it running good and then start doing some swaps like maybe a moose pump or misters in the long run as well as pick up an ATS wastegated system for cheap and do russ compressor wheel mod. I can put whatever I want into the idi and the tranny will be able to handle it. since it is bigger than the engine physically.

Attachments

• LDT.jpg
    LDT.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 13
  • LDT2.jpg
    LDT2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Compressor.jpg
    Compressor.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Electricmotor.jpg
    Electricmotor.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 8

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please take lots of pics, I want to do this to me deuce too. I hate the LDS!

So if its a bus idi it bolts up to the stock tranny?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Please take lots of pics, I want to do this to me deuce too. I hate the LDS!

So if its a bus idi it bolts up to the stock tranny?

Yeah it has the same bellhousing as the 5 ton tranny SAE # 2. Bus came with a 14" disc and the 5 ton has a 14 7/8" disc so it shouldn't be a big deal. I don't think it will bolt to the deuce tranny though. Are you on steelsoldiers?