IDI into a military truck

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally have the motivation and need to get it done before winter. I have a 1962 M-61A2 5 ton 6x6. It currently has a very sickly LDS-465A1 in it. There is youtube link below to it idling.

I picked up a 87' 6.9 NA from a 4x4 school bus with 110k miles on it. Complete with a 15" clutch pack that went to a spicer 4054 tranny. Includes all brackets, accessories, exhaust, glow plug controller, wiring harness, etc for $500.

I am thinking my only problems are going to be getting the exhaust around my drivers side front driveshaft, as well as a fan setup. The radiator in the 5 ton is mammoth and holds 18 gallons of coolant by itself. So I will be looking into running a electric fans more than likely since it is a mammoth area. Making an accelerator cable system for it since my truck currently has a rod linkage that is near the pedal. Making an air compressor system for the air over hydraulic brake system. I have the compressor off of mine just need to find a way to make a mount for it. setting up a power steering system since I do have power steering right now but the pump is gear driven off the engine.

As far as power rating though the NA idi is very comparible to the turbo LDS

6.9 NA 170hp and 340ftlbs @ 900lbs

LDS Turbo 478ci 6cyl- 175hp and 425ftlbs @ 1800lbs and 2650rpm redline.

Transmission ratio is .85 in 5th direct so unless you are running big tires you wont be able to go over 50 without blowing the multifuel. The reason I am looking at the idi swap is better reliability over the multifuel. Parts availability (being able to go to napa for parts vs having to wait for a surplus dealer to ship), easier to work on, ALOT quieter (the multifuel will have your body vibrating after you drive it and cant be driven without hearing protection.)

I attached some pictures of the engine in the bus still in the bus. As well as my LDS in my 5 ton. Going to be doing this project over the next few weeks so I will keep some updates going. First 2 pics are the LDS the rest are the 6.9 in the bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBfwqsL11o8

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 56
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IH1.jpg
    IH1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IH2.jpg
    IH2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IH4.jpg
    IH4.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IH6.jpg
    IH6.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IH7.jpg
    IH7.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IH5.jpg
    IH5.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 11

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno man! That 6 cylinder looks boss! But yes, I'm in favor of the swap. We need more IDI's in things.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find someone junkink a uhaul IH truck and it will have the compressor and PS brackets you need.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I was thinking that the uhauls all had hydraulic brakes. I am thinking a std power steering pump would work fine just gotta get the fittings done. Well mel finding a good used lds runs around 900 plus shipping. Even then they don't last very long. I am going to be pushing snow with this truck for the winter with a 11ft plow

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
He'll I would take the 4x4 bus!

Boy, I hear you on that ! Chop the body off and rig a nice big walk in sleeper on there ( or cut the mid section of the body out and make a small passenger section/sleeper out of the rear body section ) and make a real comfy 5th wheel toter :D

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
dunno its a passengers side pumpkin though. The guy is putting a 4bt in the bus for a camper i think.

Now this is a 5th hauler. Powered by a 250cummins. 4 doors and all baby!

Attachments

• Picture 242.jpg
    Picture 242.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Picture 245.jpg
    Picture 245.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 43

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Here is a 4x4 bus similar to what he has.

Attachments

• bus.jpg
    bus.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 49
  • bus2.jpg
    bus2.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 37

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do have hydraulic brakes, the compressor is for the air ride.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
dunno its a passengers side pumpkin though. The guy is putting a 4bt in the bus for a camper i think.

Now this is a 5th hauler. Powered by a 250cummins. 4 doors and all baby!

Now that's a sweet little toy. A little shy on creature comforts , but if you got stuck with that rig, it'd be your own dang fault LOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Here is a 4x4 bus similar to what he has.

A lot of potential there with one of those, but I sure couldn't see putting a 4bt in one. Not unless he's got a buddy with a crawler who won't mind a call to come fetch him out. HE;d have enough truck to get into trouble but not enough to get out.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
A lot of potential there with one of those, but I sure couldn't see putting a 4bt in one. Not unless he's got a buddy with a crawler who won't mind a call to come fetch him out. HE;d have enough truck to get into trouble but not enough to get out.

He has an M35 deuce and an 816 5 ton military wrecker as well. Also there is a guy over there on the steel soldiers forum we are on with a PLS 10x10. Even got a nice 10 ton crane on it. Only ran him a mere $80k
We have quite a few military people across the country with 6x6 and bigger trucks, all you gotta do is call one when your in trouble and they will show up. its a pretty good network. Doing this engine swap I have 3 guys from Spokane coming to help that is 3 hours from me. and 2 coming from helena which is almost 3 hours. Almost the same with people on here, just it takes 4 or 5 guys to get the 1800lb engine out of the truck without it falling on someone. One guy is bringing his 816 wrecker so I dont have to rent an excavator to pick the engine.

Attachments

• PLS1.jpg
    PLS1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 34
  • PLS2.jpg
    PLS2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 41
  • PLS3.jpg
    PLS3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 34