idi cam?

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking to get a cam for my 91 7.3 i know there are a few out there people offer for it but i was wondering if anyone has compaired them and as far as performance gains. All i do with this truck is truck pulls so im thinking i propably want a cam that performs better on the top end. Any advice would be greatly appericated.

Thanks ross

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The typ4 cam was designed for the logging industry up in Oregon. It works well on any non turbo or turbo idi. It brings in bottom end and goes all the way up to red line. Read mt engine information. If I had the time and courage I would install one of these.

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess if im running high boost levels i would probably to have to have my pistons cut with that cam? i know the r&d cam bleeds off some of the compression for that reason. im running around 20psi now and just blew a head gasket.

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also i was wondering what valve springs i should run? I ordered a cam from typ4 today. im looking to get 400+hp to the wheels so i think i might still have the pistons cut

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want 400hp at the wheels you will need more than 140cc of Fuel and 30 psi with one of R&D's cams....or the J2 cam I have that bleeds of a bit of compression. Cutting the pistons and coating the crowns will help...You will also need a bigger Turbo and Custom up pipes to get rid of all the exhaust gas and heat better than the stock system. You have some Money to spend to get to that goal.. Justin at R&D is the right guy for big power... there are several guys running his bigger stuff now and he can help you achieve you goal of 400 WHP.... I run 910's in my 7.3 with the J2 Cam they are a direct swap with a little shim work. From several chassis dyno runs from trucks in the past the general consensus is WHP can be calculated anywhere from 2.5 to 2.9 HP per cc of fuel... depending on running gear and several other mods to the Engine Boost and exhaust system components. Crank shaft HP is somewhere in the 3.2 to 3.5 HP per cc fuel depending on the same mods... using this mathematical calculations you can get an Idea what you need to get close to what you want.... I will be watching your build... I have plans for a 400 Crank shaft HP Engine soon.

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was planning on running one of justins 180cc pumps and probably one of his turbos also, hes not taling orders now so ill have to wait a little bit

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Super Moose in stock. 205cc's, but we can turn it down for you if you want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online