I think I got a problem here

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well, I made it to the Octoberfest for lunch today, gotta love sausages with ***** ;Sweet . I was late to class by a minute or two, but we had a sub and I kinda snuck in, so I was marked present when she took the attendance ;Sweet :D . I do have a new problem now, my power steering belt is slipping really bad as of this morning. Looks like I'll have to fix that to LOL .

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, I made it to the Octoberfest for lunch today, gotta love sausages with ***** ;Sweet . I was late to class by a minute or two, but we had a sub and I kinda snuck in, so I was marked present when she took the attendance ;Sweet :D . I do have a new problem now, my power steering belt is slipping really bad as of this morning. Looks like I'll have to fix that to LOL .

Sausage and *****..did you bring enough for everyone???? :backoff :rotflmao
If that PS belt is slipping, make sure it's just loose and the pump isn't trying to seize up. That locked up steering pump on the side of the road bit is no fun.

-------Robert

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin...I don't know how to tell the difference. I do know that I have a new/remanned PS pump. The caveat is that it has a bad reservoir(busted) I would let you have for the price of shipping if you think you can swap the good res. over, if it turns out you need one.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How do you test the PS pump to see if its trying to sieze up or not?

steering will be jumpy at low speed, irregular resistance, kind of feels like you have the wheel turned against the locks when when you don't . Fluid will be dark/dirty and smell burnt.

--------Robert

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well, I'll try to explain to you guys whats going on to try to clear up some stuff. If I'm sitting still, not moving, and I try to turn the wheel the belt will start to slip, and it will get hard to turn the wheel for a sec then it will get easy then hard ect....and this will happen like every quarter second so its kind of a jumpy feeling. When I'm going down the road the steering acts normal, its just the belt will slip when I turn the wheels to go around a corner, or sometimes just going down a strait road it will start to slip, and i will have to let off the throttle to let the belt catch back up. I've always had a problem with the belt, cause in the begining when I tried to turn the wheels lock to lock, the belt would slip when the wheel was turned all of the way.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it is slipping because of the feel?
If there is no noise, on little trick to try is to put a little coke-a-cola on a warm blet and see if it improves. Makes the belt sticky and grabs the pully. But sounds like a pump to me.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would chech that belt tension before thinking of the pump. see if the belt is glazed and cracked at all. if its slipping it will act wierd, it takes more pressure to turn the wheels at a stop than driving hence it would need more energy from the engine making it more likely to slip then.

chech the fliud while you are in there to, that can be an indicator.

i am not sure of the coca-cola test but i know that using something like belt gripper in a can is not good. it help the belts grip much better at first but wears out quickly and actaully causes the belt to slip more later. not knocking the coke, i use it on batteries:D i just learned the hard way on the spray stuff.:mad:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes you can hear the belt slipping, its not a very hard thing to hear LOL . The belt seems a little loose, so I stopped off at napa and bought a new one. The steering feels fine going down the road, but sitting still turning the wheel the belt will slip and the steering will get hard, then soft, then hard, then soft changing about every 1/4-1/2 second, so the steering wheel will feel "jumpy". This has only occured to me when the truck is stopped and I'm trying to turn the wheel.

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another possibility might be one of the pulleys may be wore and the belts riding to low. V-belts need to ride towards the top of the pulley.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If using the coke, do not use Diet... It is the sugar. And it does not damage the belt, and cleans off in a short while. I had issues with the belt dressing stuff also.
Sounds like the new belt helped?

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well the new PS belt is on, and it fixed the problem ;Sweet . The power steering fluid smelt just a little burnt, and was a little low, so I'll stop by napa tommorow and pick up some. Thanks for the help guys.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well the new PS belt is on, and it fixed the problem ;Sweet . The power steering fluid smelt just a little burnt, and was a little low, so I'll stop by napa tommorow and pick up some. Thanks for the help guys.

If it smells burnt , flush it out. Take the return line off the pump and point it into a bucket , plug off the return fitting on the pump and have someone crank it while you pour fresh stuff in as the old stuff goes into the bucket. Do that until you see the stuff coming out is clean., re attach the hose and top it off and you're good to go.

--------Robert

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was just going to add some, but if thats what has to be done, then it looks like I found a project for next weekend LOL .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online