i think i got a decent deal

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and I joined a week ago when I started looking at getting my new(to me) truck. I picked up an 87 F350 extended cab, long bed, 4x4 with independent front suspension, auto, diesel. It has the ATS turbo kit and Gear Vendors Overdrive. Its been sitting for a year except for about 5 months ago when the guy i got it from drove it to his house for parts. He had a newer crew cab with less miles that was given to him after a theft recovery. After he finished swapping parts, mine now has a busted up column and no front seats or door locks and the beat up bed from the other truck. My truck was in a slight accident where a car rear-ended it and it struck a car in front of it. The insurance totaled it and the old guy bought it back and drove it for a year till the inspection and registration ran out. I don't understand why they totaled it the front bumper was a little bent and the bed had a very small dent.

Now the good part. I only gave a 7" grinder, a 3hp sears edger, a subwoofer in a box with an amp and capacitor, and $50. The rough value of the items I traded him was $350 - $400 tops.

Anyways, in the coming weeks and months I will likely be posting pictures of stuff to figure out what some things are and get general info.

Almost forgot, I have a friend that works with title suff(?), and he offered to run the VIN for me. His two sources confirm that the accident in 07 was the only one and that the title lists it as a 3/4 ton. Apparently it was possible to order an F250 with the F350 rear suspension and badging. His two sources list different mileage for it though. One says 198,000 and the other says 87,000, and the odometer reads 87,000.

Thats about it.
David

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome sounds like your at the beginning of a long journey. But trust me the guys here will make it a good one. Again welcome to OB.net.

Oh also edit your signature so we know what your truck is by looking at your signature.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on older vehicles, the mileage often gets recorded as mileage shown with the box checked for "not actual mileage", since Texas DOT says mileage does not matter after 100k. Using their logic, a car or truck with 120k is worth the same as car or truck with 320k

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took care of the signature, and i was told that the old guy that owned the truck before had the engine rebuilt a few years ago when he decided to put the turbo and GV on it. i am betting the engine will outlast anything i plan for it. when i posted the add on craigslist i figured i would end up either selling the stuff or getting a little beater 4x4 in need of some serious work, and i was only looking for something to get me up and down the beach. but i think this truck will get the job done just as well once i am finished with it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
1987 F350 should have a Dana 60 front end...sounds like an F250 to me. Still a tough truck. You got a kick ass deal as the turbo kit and GV OD are worth about 4 grand to buy new. We need pics!

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my friend that does title work says that it is technically an F250 but it was likely ordered with an F350 rear suspension and axle and that it would have been badged an F350 because of that. i want to test his theory on that, so is there anything that i can look at that will tell me what rear suspension and axle are under it. i am guessing the rear end has some type of code on it, but what about the leaf springs?

i will be taking a few pics of it soon, but the wife is upset with me for taking all day to get it yesterday and not getting the lawn mowed.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/4 and 1 ton rearends were the same, the only real difference would be that a tru one ton came with a dana 60 front while the 3/4 ton came with an independant dana 50 like what youve said is under your truck. It sounds like someone badged the truck as a 350 or swapped the fenders at one point with ones off of a 350.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
First thing you will need to do is MOW THE LAWN !!! That will give you peace to think about your project. Pictures will tell a lot -in the same breath it sounds like the making of a great inexpensive truck. Good luck!!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes. as stated above, you have your self a F250. 350 ex-cabs were ALL duallys and they were never made in 4wd. And ALL 4x4 f350s made from 86 to current have a solid front axle. And your GVW is going to be around 8600. F350 are 9200. So someone put f350 badges on your f250. But not the end of the world, Still is a good deal. PIcs?

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it turns out that my truck was likely a rebadged f350, but thats not a big deal. i did take a few pictures and it looks worse than it is because i was able to get the truck to fire up with only a very, very light snort of ether. i only used it because i believe the glow plugs are burnt out. i am going to be doing some research on them, but i have a quick question. when i put it in the on position, the wait to start flashes on once and goes out immediately. my question is, what is the ckicking noise coming from the back of the engine? I would guess that is the control solenoid for the glow plugs attempting to heat them up, and then kicking itself off again because the plugs are bad.

You must be registered for see images attach

i obviously have my work cut out for me but its going to be a fun project

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I'd say you got one mighty good deal!

Welcome to OB.net, without a doubt the best resource of information for the IDI engine.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just noticed that i missed the pic of the data plate. can someone tell me what it all means? things like the axle ratio and all that good stuff. thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert