I think I give up.....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said, just past snug. Overtightening them will actually cause a leak, but I think if you add some hylomar or even RTV and don't overtighten, they may seep a little but they won't leak real nasty.

BENZIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey dont feel to bad sam atleast Driver Returns On Foot hasnt happend yet:cool

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I'm going to try and tighten them up a little, how much of a bear is it to change the gasket out completely? I'm thinkin' that may be a little over my head. :-\

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the actual changing of the gasket is easy. i dunno what you have in the way of turbo parts blocking the way to getting the valve covers in and out but if it looks like you can get to them, then go for it.

the only think you will want to do when you have the valve covers out it to take a ballpeen hammer and turn the valve cover over with the flange on a flat hard surface and gently peen the bolt holes a little, this helps clamp down the valve cover in between the bolt holes, by raising the area where the bolt goes thru if that makes sense at all. might not be 100% necessary with the washers they use on these valve covers though.

the new rubber VC gasket will have tabs on it that lock on to the VC itself, so you can drop it back down on the head easily and the gasket stays put.

i think you may get by just snugging them down though. if you take a small 3/8 ratchet and use one hand to tighten the bolts you almost can't overtighten them. just a little past snug is all you need.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you say the leak happened after the turbo was rebuilt, I would look for drain leaks also. just my 2 c

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I don't recall how it was with the ats but You should be able to do it with a little patience, it is not that hard of a job to do it really. Doing the turbo could cause the vc leak if someone sit on it several times and the vc where almost ready to go. If You could remove and reinstall the turbo then You definitely can do the vc. You can also find out if it is an injector ticking by loosening the injector lines while the engine idles and the ones that are ok will make it change the Pace whereas the bad one will not change anything at all Hope that is clear enough.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam, I have a new in the bag OEM valve cover gasket I'll bring along to the rally if you want it. We can even help you put it in. Only takes an hour maybe. On the leaking injectors, feel the injection lines and see if any of them are getting hot. Sometimes an injector fails in such a way that compression and/or exhaust gases can push up into the injector and injection line, melting the O-rings and cap causing leaks. I'm also fighting a leaking injector myself, have just R & R'ed the return lines. I installed two O-rings, that more or less disolved in two days thanks to my WMO mix. :rolleyes:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Sam, I have a new in the bag OEM valve cover gasket I'll bring along to the rally if you want it. We can even help you put it in. Only takes an hour maybe.

How mich oil do ya plan on absorbing this time Mel?
Have Suzi bring plenty of rubbing alcohol.LOL

I'm bringing my coveralls since it looks like there's gonna be a few to work on.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as I'm getting dirty working on somebody else's instead of mine, I'll be happy. LOL

snowman89

Stack Finatic
Reaction score
the valve cover gaskets on the idi motors tend to wear out within the first 100k miles. your best and safest bet is to replace the valve cover gaskets. oh ya and they're not very hard to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7