I smoked a E4od today, It was awsome.

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another E4od Smoked!!, Hi there All. New member here. Love the site and all the info. I almost feel as if I know some of you through the computer. ( never thought I would say or spell that) Anyways I was towing a 5er for a good friend of mine and lost the tranny. I am shure heat was the issue. I have a huge cooler on mine and was in a hurry, On road 4 about 200 miles then off road for about 20 miles in some pretty nasty hills. It was pulling a 27 foot 5er trailer so good I thought I don't need 4 low. Well I should have put it in and just cruzzed and took my time. Anyways I need to get another one for my rig. I have a few questions for the (powers that be). I have a 94 250, ext cab 4x4. Will I need a tranny out of another ext cab 4x4? I know it has to be a diesel and I think I read on here it has to be a 4x4. What about years for the e4od, will a 97 go in my 94? I have got quiet a few quotes from anywere from 2000. to 4000 for a built tranny with a 50000 mile replacment war. I just might do it myself and take a day or 2 off work to pull it. I have done a couple turbo 350s and 400s, this looks bigger and heavy. Is it a huge job, or am I just getting scarred, Any and all knowledge will be appreciated. Thanks alott Bernie.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
its not that big of a job im doing mine by myself! and you need a one out of a 4x4 it dont matter if it was a reg cab or a crew! just as long as its a 4x4 e4od and also i think you can use one out off a powerstroke of the same body style as your truck you just have to swap the plugs from the idi trans to the newer one

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this will help you for the next trans,and other readers;
1.buy a trans temp gauge,and do what ever is required to keep the trans below 200 @ the test port.
2.for hauling/towing heavy,while driving slowly,a cooler itself may not be enough.they make small trans e-fans that will flow the air when speeds are just too slow for wind alone to do the trick.the size of the cooler is meaningless without enough air flow.
these items are dirt cheap compared to a rebuild,and would likely keep the trans going for many more trouble free miles.
3.keep the fluid changed every 15k when working them in this manner.

it saddens me to read about E40D failures that could have been easily avoided.most of them sadly,are all like this.then the trans gets the bad rep needlessly.

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it was my fault, I can't blame this on my trans, ( even though I would like too ) Been at work for 5 days straight 24 hr shifts 5 x 24 = 120 hrs@ work and 2 days off been telling my buddie I would get his 5er on the property, for like a month or so. 500 feet from were we were going to park it. Opps. I was wondering if my converter was acting up alittle bit too. Well before this happened, The truck would bounce alittle at a stop light, take it out of gear and smooth as heck. I have always ran a zf5 and liked it for towing, but this one would still be around if I had installed a temp gauge ect ect. I have been thinking about one since I bought this rig, not too long ago. I am looking for some prices for a rebuilds, stock and built, installed and uninstalled. I will say that Idi pulled the hell out of that 5er even in the hills. Next one I will have a gauge ect ect, so I know what my rig is doing. If only the property was 500 feet closer to my house.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I believe Benton is correct, but you have to use an IDI's torque converter.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just stuck an idi e4od into my 95 powerstroke.need an idi converter and swap the solenoid pack from the stroke to the IDI.everything else is the same.and with a PSD tranny you will get a little tougher tranny as they will most likely have all the updates in them.there is a website with a full writeup and pictures on rebuilding the e4od.im gonna mine myself if i ever get the time and money to do it.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I know it was my fault, I can't blame this on my trans, ( even though I would like too ) Been at work for 5 days straight 24 hr shifts 5 x 24 = 120 hrs@ work and 2 days off been telling my buddie I would get his 5er on the property, for like a month or so. 500 feet from were we were going to park it. Opps. I was wondering if my converter was acting up alittle bit too. Well before this happened, The truck would bounce alittle at a stop light, take it out of gear and smooth as heck. I have always ran a zf5 and liked it for towing, but this one would still be around if I had installed a temp gauge ect ect. I have been thinking about one since I bought this rig, not too long ago. I am looking for some prices for a rebuilds, stock and built, installed and uninstalled. I will say that Idi pulled the hell out of that 5er even in the hills. Next one I will have a gauge ect ect, so I know what my rig is doing. If only the property was 500 feet closer to my house.

The tranny had a pressure problem. The converter will try to lock when the pressure is low. Could be internal leaks, low fluid, or just worn out.

You can use any diesel 4x4 E4OD. 95 and up are the better units.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you get a rebuild, you need to get an upgrade kit done on it that keeps fluid flowing at all times to keep it cool. In factory configuration, the blamed thing stops flow to teh cooler and a few key componants at times and it has a nasty habit of burning the things up. There is a standard kit to fix this and any tranny shop can do it.
If you want to tow regularly and want a REAL nice tranny, call BTS
Whatever you do put a high end synthetic tranny fluid in the thing and the biggest cooler with a fan you can find. Its cheap insurance. Mount it away from the radiator/ac condensor. it will keep the engine cooler and your AC performing better

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
If you get a rebuild, you need to get an upgrade kit done on it that keeps fluid flowing at all times to keep it cool. In factory configuration, the blamed thing stops flow to teh cooler and a few key componants at times and it has a nasty habit of burning the things up. There is a standard kit to fix this and any tranny shop can do it.
If you want to tow regularly and want a REAL nice tranny, call BTS
Whatever you do put a high end synthetic tranny fluid in the thing and the biggest cooler with a fan you can find. Its cheap insurance. Mount it away from the radiator/ac condensor. it will keep the engine cooler and your AC performing better

Where should a transmission cooler be mounted?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on my 95 i have a the big one that came with my monsterbox in the grill.i also have a smaller one in my front bumper with a fan on it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Where should a transmission cooler be mounted?

With one of those jobs with its own fan, you can mount it anywhere. Back under the floorboard or the bed works great Just get the ones that use the AN fittings and use Aeroquip type hose, dont fool with the worm gear clamp on type, they just dont last very long and if you are going to have to run a length of it , the thing can be a pain to have to replace. Much easier to just spend the extra money and put the good stuff on and forget about it

I;ve got one of those things for an engine oil cooler tapped into my turbo oil feed line and it's mounted all teh way back on top of my headache rack. Granted , wouldn't have been my first choice for locations, but I was on vacation when I noticed high oil temps and I was at my Mother's house with almost no tools , no ramps and no place to work, so I went for easiest access and minimal fabrication . 2 15' lengths of -6 aeroquip steel braid wasnt cheap, but I wont have to worry about it

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another E4od Smoked!!, Hi there All. New member here. Love the site and all the info. I almost feel as if I know some of you through the computer. ( never thought I would say or spell that) Anyways I was towing a 5er for a good friend of mine and lost the tranny. I am shure heat was the issue. I have a huge cooler on mine and was in a hurry, On road 4 about 200 miles then off road for about 20 miles in some pretty nasty hills. It was pulling a 27 foot 5er trailer so good I thought I don't need 4 low. Well I should have put it in and just cruzzed and took my time. Anyways I need to get another one for my rig. I have a few questions for the (powers that be). I have a 94 250, ext cab 4x4. Will I need a tranny out of another ext cab 4x4? I know it has to be a diesel and I think I read on here it has to be a 4x4. What about years for the e4od, will a 97 go in my 94? I have got quiet a few quotes from anywere from 2000. to 4000 for a built tranny with a 50000 mile replacment war. I just might do it myself and take a day or 2 off work to pull it. I have done a couple turbo 350s and 400s, this looks bigger and heavy. Is it a huge job, or am I just getting scarred, Any and all knowledge will be appreciated. Thanks alott Bernie.

ANY '89-'97 Diesel 4x4 E4OD will work. The newer the better. Newer one's will have the updates from over the year's.

To install a newer E4OD in your '94:
- Reuse or buy a new IDI (4 stud) torque converter
- Reuse your '94's shift solenoid pack ( it's on the passenger-side of the trans, once you open the pan up, you'll see how the old one come out). If you use a newer pack with your truck you'll fry the trans computer in the truck.
- Reuse your MLPS (exterior sensor on the driver-side).

Above all else, take your time. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online