i over heated it!!!

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
well to make a long story short i blew a headgasket on the way to a trail ride and had to keep stoping to re fill it on the way home we were about 45min away from our house and the temp guage burried and the light came on i was in the middle of nowhere with my 14month old daughter and my wife. i shut it down and pulled off in the ditch., popped thehood to find the rad had let go causing the sudden overheating. well we had someone tow us home and i got a new rad but apon further inspection i found athat i had a knock, like a wrist pin, or a bearing so, I AM IN NEED OF A RUNNING OR REBUILDABLE 6.9L!!!! it can just be a long block i have all ned injection system, if not in here could someone point me in the right direction?
:confused: :mad: Please help!!

Attachments

• Cnv0003.jpg
    Cnv0003.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 32

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can wait, I will be pulling a real good running 6.9 in a couple months to swap in a Cummins.

Engine is in my personal truck and has Hypermax turbo.

Quickest starting most responsive 6.9 I ever dealt with; it just ain't a Cummins.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
how much? i just installed a hypermax two months ago on mine so you could keep yours to sell. let me know.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this man. I dont have an engine to offer, but I'm sure with all the good folks here you'll get it worked out.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the loss, but I like your attitude you don't come crying after your truck died and looking for a cummins :puke: . At least we have figured the most common problems on this rigs and most of the time prevent them.

Exekiel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear this! Shouldn't be too hard to find another engine though. More often than not, it has a truck wrapped around it. Have you abandoned the idea of fixing this one due to time, or money, or both? I agree an overheated 6.9 makes a very good paper weight, so if I were in your shoes I'd be looking at a long block rebuild from somebody. Rob (69Oiler) up in Cleveland has a spare engine, but I don't know if he is interested in parting with it or not.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
How hot for how long? I have had mine that hot several times because bad head gaskets, but it was for a short time before I pulled off. I also topped it off with mainly what was in the overflow. Before you write the engine off, pull a pm. Maybe put a little seafoam or the like in there. And change your head gaskets.
Good Luck
James

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Sorry to hear the loss, but I like your attitude you don't come crying after your truck died and looking for a cummins :puke: . At least we have figured the most common problems on this rigs and most of the time prevent them.

Exekiel.

But if he does come looking to do a Cummins swap, I can help: linky here

LOL

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
:confused: well i havent abandoned any thing quite yet, i love the truck just alot of $$$ to rebuild.

As far as overheated for how long? i drove it with the light on for about 3 miled towing, the pyro started to go up easier and eaiser as i went so i pulled off. I can now also hear a knock or loud tick, im thinking it might be a wrist pin kind of noise, but i have heard that a fuel knock sounds about the same. if i get the rpms up it does not make the noise anymore?? cookoo

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Jeje, I knew somebody will jump up. I did not meant to offend, wath I said was because some of us when we have a problem like this come back with the idea this engines are not powerful enough for us anymore and is time to spend a lot of money on another engine. I just liked he did not come back saying that ;Really . Now at the time my engine died unfortunately I did not know you guys but I could have said the same, but I'm happy I did not and got another IDI (even dough cummins do sound ;Sweet ). There is lot of things to do on this engines before there is need for more power and no more money on the pocket :D

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Greenbeast6.9 said:
I can now also hear a knock or loud tick, im thinking it might be a wrist pin kind of noise, but i have heard that a fuel knock sounds about the same. if i get the rpms up it does not make the noise anymore?? cookoo

Been my experience that if you raise the rpms a wrist pin or bearing will either start making noise or will increase in it's noise quanity. But this is not always a concrete fact.

Ring out the injectors (balance test as some call it) - what I mean by that is with her running jump under the hood with your trusty 5/8" wrench and crack open each of the injector line caps one at a time and see if you can isolate the offending cylinder - once you find it swap it's injector with another one and repeat the test. If the noise follows the injector then you found your culprit if not then I would recommed pulling the valve cover and taking a peek. Heck it's worth a try...

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
argue said:
Been my experience that if you raise the rpms a wrist pin or bearing will either start making noise or will increase in it's noise quanity. But this is not always a concrete fact.

Ring out the injectors (balance test as some call it) - what I mean by that is with her running jump under the hood with your trusty 5/8" wrench and crack open each of the injector line caps one at a time and see if you can isolate the offending cylinder - once you find it swap it's injector with another one and repeat the test. If the noise follows the injector then you found your culprit if not then I would recommend pulling the valve cover and taking a peek. Heck it's worth a try...

thanks for the advice i will do that, as for the knock, i thought it might be going away with the oil pressure going up and "filling in the voids" so to speak.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Typical oil pressures while idling are around 15~20psi so it should support the void your thinking of - at least that is my opionon which may or maynot hold water...

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
argve said:
Typical oil pressures while idling are around 15~20psi so it should support the void your thinking of - at least that is my opionon which may or maynot hold water...

ok i will tear into it this weekend. als oon a side note i found a 7.3 idi out of an 89 that a guy from my offroad club that told me to "come and get it out of my way" so that is cool!!! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat