I need help with my conversion

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading all the threads I could find on hydro boost conversions I thought I was ready to tackle the upgrade:sly. I was able to buy a nice unit from a 94 f450 including the two hoses and pump resevoir. tonight I bolted it up and find when i connect the push rod to the brake pedal, the pedal height is very low to the floor:confused::***:. Is this normal? Or did I buy the wrong year booster for my truck. BTW I didn't get the pedal assembly, I was planning on moving the pin to the correct level. If I did get the wrong year, which year should I buy?

Thanks

Vince

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no actual help but ive seen this before posted
it should be out there somewhere
i know one guy extended it farther so it fit right

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Towcat is the one to ask he should be along shortly. I thought the OBS trucks had the same pedal assembly between the f-superduty and the f250/350. I drilled a hole on my pedal about 3/4" higher and welded in a Grade 5 9/16 bolt.

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat is the one to ask he should be along shortly. I thought the OBS trucks had the same pedal assembly between the f-superduty and the f250/350. I drilled a hole on my pedal about 3/4" higher and welded in a Grade 5 9/16 bolt.

Thanks Jimbob,

The hole you drilled is it 3/4" on center to center or measured from the top of the original hole to the bottom of the second.

Thanks
Vince

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I think its on center but Ill tell you how i did it.

Get a grease pen and go out to your truck. hold the pushrod next to the brake pedal where it is level and will push in straight, then mark the pushrod hole onto the brake pedal with the marker. After you are satisfied with that mark, you will need to take out the steering column and the pedal assembly. Take a few pictures along the way especially of the pedal assembly.

On my truck the speedo cable goes up through the pedal assembly. I didnt need to remove that cable to get the brake pedal out. Just kind of let the assembly hang and remove the pedal. Also on a manual truck there is a big spring on the pedal assembly. Take like 6 to 8 zip ties and compress that spring. That way it wont shoot off when you take it out.

I got like a 6 inch long 9/16th bolt (so you have 3-4 inches of smooth shaft) and cut it to the length of the existing pin. I drilled a small hole through the end to stick the cotter pin through. I stuck the new bolt through the hole and welded up the backside of the bolt head (passenger side). I ground off the old pin so it wouldnt interfere with the stop light clip.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the short of it. You need to either get a different pedal (my personal choice - bought a new one from Ford) or weld a new pin in the correct location.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am working on buying a setup from a 94 superduty I don't need the pedal assembly for my 86 I would sell the pedal assembly if interested.

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the short of it. You need to either get a different pedal (my personal choice - bought a new one from Ford) or weld a new pin in the correct location.

In my case the pedal is about 3.5" to 4" off the floor once I connect the push rod to the pedal pin. I know I have to move the pin up but even with the pin in the right position it still going to be 3 to 4 inches off the floor. I will have to extend the rod or fabricate an adapter plate and have my brother weld it to the pedal. Not sure if the F-450 or SD pedal would correct the issue with the push rod being too short but if it does I would go that route.

Thanks Vince

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk