I have a question for ya'll

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here goes.When I got my heads rebuilt on my 89 7.3l idi there was a sensor
that screws into the (pass side) head at the front, sort of uder the fuel filter and forward a bit. Anyhow after I got the heads back this sensor was missing
and was accidently turfed by the machine shop.
I would like to buy a new one but I don't know what the sensor is called.
My book doesn't show it. Does anyone know what it's called. thx ....Joe

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
i have no clue man....i just went out and looked at my truck and i cant see anything that would be a sensor passenger side in the area described.....everything there that i could see was either fuel pump related, vacuum pump, or alternator related..... need more info.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a picture or anything on those lines, it sounds offhand like you're referring to the cold timing advance/high idle sender. It should screw into the head "on top" with the head on the engine, and have two prongs coming out of it. When it's working properly, it'll allow electricity to go through it when the coolant temperature's below 120 degrees or so, energizing the solenoid on the passenger's side of the injector pump (which pushes the throttle linkage out to bring the RPM's up to 800 or so) and energizing an internal solenoid on the driver's side of the IP (the connector is near the fuel shut-off solenoid) that advances the timing a few degrees.

If it's gone, a replacement should be Ford part number E8TZ-9E939-A, and my receipt calls it a "Switch Assembly". I paid $38.24 for mine about a year ago.

Hope this helps some...good luck! :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Warden has it right. You really need this switch so give up some money to frod and make it right....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Might want to shake your fist in the general direction of the shop . I recently bought one of those from the International dealer and after tax it ran me about $50 -cuss

----------Robert

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks......... that was the part alright. Costs 64 bucks up here in Canada.
Thanks again ......Joe