I have a few questions for ya'll

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions i was hopeing you could answer for me.
1. My steering is very loose even though my ball joints and tie rods are good. Any fix or just the nature of the beast?
2. I am going to be putting in a pyro, where is the best spot to put the thermocouple (pre or post turbo)and what should the max temp be?
3.where should i put the boost gauge and what is the max safe boost for these engines with head bolts?

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of those questions have been answered a few times, but its sometimes hard to find them using the search unfortunately. I don't know for sure about the steering, although I recall something about a replacement steering box that tightened things up a bit.
For the pyro the usual place is between the rear two d-side cylinders tapped right into the manifold. Max temp is usually 1200* but you don't want to be there for more than a second or two IIRC.
Not sure where people usually put the boost probe, but I think the usual comfortable/safe "limit" for non-studded engines is 10-15psi. With studs, you can get away with a lot more.

There are lots who know more on this though, and may correct some of my information... This is just a brief summary of what I can remember reading here. lol

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My steering is tight. No wandering at all even with uneven pavement. Maybe your box is worn?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
check to see if the output of the steering box is moving when you turn the wheel with the front end in the air if it isnt then there is an adjustment for the gear lash inside the box, tighten it until it stops with light pressure then back it of 1/8 turn

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K I'll step up to the plate for

# 1

Start at the steering wheel with engine off and steering unlocked...have someone move wheel back and forth and watch the shaft in the engine compartment that goes from the column to the box, there may be a big plastic cover on the box end it will need to be removed you are watching for the collappsable shaft being loose because of a worn or lost plastic bushing inside it or perhaps the rag joint is toast too...

If those check out then fire the truck up and do it again and watch this time paying attention to the input shaft on the box is it loose and wandering? Then move to the Pitman Arm...and isolate each component from steering wheel all the way out too the Tie Rod ends...

It's really easy with the help of friend or family member to observe whats going on!

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Loose steering is generally one of three things. The box needs adjustment. The rag joint is bad or the plastic collar and flat spring in the collaspable joint is broken. Mine has broken the flat spring twice. Part is no longer offered so its the wrecking yard for the part. I have some pics and I will try to post them..