I have a clunk when I brake

Pat Tavelli

Reaction score
I have a 89 f-250 7.3 idi. All original. Great truck. It has 240K miles on the original motor and running gear. I did have the front end rebuilt a couple of years ago. Bushings, King pins etc. New brakes less than 5K miles ago.
But recently I have developed a clunk when I hit the brakes just a little less than hard. I took it in to my mechanic. Who by the way I think is excellent on the 7.3 idi. Plenty of old school experience and knowledge. He leaned toward a tie rod needing adjusting, which he did. But it had no effect. I have the truck back and have been driving it. I can actually make it not do the clunk by babying it. But something isn't right and it driving me crazy. It will also make the noise if I turn hard to the right or left quickly sometimes. Steering box? It mostly does it coming to a stop. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also good to check, core support mount bushings, loose downpipe hitting cab, and loose fender bolts.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your brake caliper is shifting in the steering knuckle.
Might be easy enough to find with two people. Tire off, jacked up front end, long pry-bar between wheel studs, Apply brakes, turn pry-bar. Does the caliper move?

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loose can of beer?

Don't laugh....happened to me once.

I guess your spare tire is secure. Seen that too.

I'd probably jack the truck up and wiggle the tires to see if any of them are loose..bearing failing, or anything amiss in the differential - U Joint areas.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, make sure there isn't anything loose in the bed..... especially if you have some type of bed cover....

I have a tonneau cover on my truck, and a lemon got loose from a grocery trip. It made an odd dull thud every time I stopped. Opened the tailgate and shined a light in there and saw the lemon. Retrieved it, and the funny noise stopped.....

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, make sure there isn't anything loose in the bed..... especially if you have some type of bed cover....

I have a tonneau cover on my truck, and a lemon got loose from a grocery trip. It made an odd dull thud every time I stopped. Opened the tailgate and shined a light in there and saw the lemon. Retrieved it, and the funny noise stopped.....
I was going to mention a body. But yeah, a lemon works just as well. ;):rotflmao