I have a black thumb but diesels are new to me...

BaugyDangerous

Reaction score
I just purchased a 94 F350 Centurion Dually with a 7.3 idi. It made the 280 mile trip home from half the state away with no problem. Its had a fairly easy life since except to take the camp trailer for winterization. I had to replace the radiator for age related corrosion and figured id replace the fuel filter since I was under the hood and didn't know the last time it was changed. The guy I bought it from said don't worry about the injectors or the glow plugs. I'm inclined to believe him as it starts and runs great even in the 20s. However...

Before thanksgiving I began to smell the telltale signs of a fuel leak. I couldn't find it. Then it got worse. I open the hood and there's the mess. The drivers side of the engine bay is covered in what I now understand is fuel.(the smell and color was off) I started the engine and fuel spurted from the #8 injector like arterial spray. I don't see or feel any splits in the line. and considering my inexperience I figured getting some advice before I start would be beneficial. I have removed and reseated the injector line with no effect.

I've done a bit of reading and I know the general idea of how it works. I know there are O-rings on the injectors and return sleeves that slip over them. I don't want to drop 3-600$ on injectors lines just to find I still have the problem. Where should I start?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started the engine and fuel spurted from the #8 injector like arterial spray

That to me sounds like the pressure line is cracked. Return lines don't "usually" do that.

Do your steel lines still have the anti vibration clamps on them?

Were you able to tell precisely where it's spraying from? On top of the nut where the steel line meets, under the plastic return cap... Etc.

BaugyDangerous

Reaction score
That to me sounds like the pressure line is cracked. Return lines don't "usually" do that.

Do your steel lines still have the anti vibration clamps on them?

Were you able to tell precisely where it's spraying from? On top of the nut where the steel line meets, under the plastic return cap... Etc.

It sprays straight up from the top of the injector and its a fair amount that pulses with the engine timing. I can only assume that its between the nut and the line. Any closer look and I would be blinded by fuel. As for the vibration clamps, I haven't removed the intake to know for sure. Ill go pop the hood and check.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it coming from the top of the nut or the bottom.

It sprays straight up from the top of the injector and its a fair amount that pulses with the engine timing.

Definitely sounds like the line cracked at the nut. I'd just order a new 8# injector line, or maybe just email Wes at Classic Diesel Designs and see if he has a good used one.

gandalf

Reaction score
Each side has three clamped together as far as I can see.

Those clamps are really important. They keep the injector hard lines from vibrating too much. When they vibrate they tend to split, frequently under the nut on top of the injector. A bad split will produce a geyser.

Here is a good picture of the clamps, total of four, two per side.

You must be registered for see images attach

BaugyDangerous

Reaction score
Those clamps are really important. They keep the injector hard lines from vibrating too much. When they vibrate they tend to split, frequently under the nut on top of the injector. A bad split will produce a geyser.

Here is a good picture of the clamps, total of four, two per side.

You must be registered for see images attach

Almost 100% sure there is one missing from each side

BaugyDangerous

Reaction score
So given that diagram it is cylinder 2 not 8.

Million dollar question is what is a reliable place to order the set from? I dont need performance parts but quality and dependability goes a long way.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like the line cracked at the nut. I'd just order a new 8# injector line, or maybe just email Wes at Classic Diesel Designs and see if he has a good used one.
Yup,I will second this.If you have a U-PULL around,you could check there,or there are a lot of people parting out trucks as well on Facebook marketplace.And at those places,you could probably pick up all 8 hard lines pretty cheap.I am sure fleabay has them too.

Rock

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check a pick and pull, one of the beautiful things about these trucks is how plentiful the parts are.

And injector lines like these aren't high performance or even one of the high wear items it seems. A used one should be just as good as any.

One more thing to check before you buy one. Don't know the right words so I'll try to describe best I can. There's a flared out end of the line that seats on the inside of the top of the injector. That has to nestle down in there. Try fully unscrewing that nut, loosening the line from any clamps and maybe even loosening it a turn or two at the pump. That'll make it wiggly and you can get the flare seated properly. Once it's seated, tighten down the nut, tighten the nut on the pump, then tighten the clamp. There's a chance it just isn't seated right.

Don't ask how I know how such a thing could be a possibility. :frustrate

BaugyDangerous

Reaction score
I'd check a pick and pull, one of the beautiful things about these trucks is how plentiful the parts are.

And injector lines like these aren't high performance or even one of the high wear items it seems. A used one should be just as good as any.

One more thing to check before you buy one. Don't know the right words so I'll try to describe best I can. There's a flared out end of the line that seats on the inside of the top of the injector. That has to nestle down in there. Try fully unscrewing that nut, loosening the line from any clamps and maybe even loosening it a turn or two at the pump. That'll make it wiggly and you can get the flare seated properly. Once it's seated, tighten down the nut, tighten the nut on the pump, then tighten the clamp. There's a chance it just isn't seated right.

Don't ask how I know how such a thing could be a possibility. :frustrate

But see here I have the problem and so it must be a thing. And why is the vehicle being parted out or at the scrap yard? I can’t reliably answer that question. Hence why I would like to find a place to order it new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online