Hypermax Smoke Puffer Limiter

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with one? Seems like a cool idea to keep the smoke down. (I know allot of you guys want ********* clouds behind you, but I DO NOT!) Seems like it could help you get a little better MGP too.

Anyway, interested in any feed back with this item.

PZ

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should really call Hypermax. RLDSL called them and asked about it and was able to talk it over with the guy that designed it. I would get one if it weren't so damned expensive, since I'm not out to smoke out all of our bicyclists and hippies. Yeah I like smoke shows too but there is a time and a place for everything and the time for smoke is somewhere rural with a bunch of like minded diesel people not in town where everyone has to breathe it and gets annoyed and thinks diesels suck and we need to get these old polluters off the road. Obviously a few puffs is ok and ineveitable especially out of older equipment. But back on topic...call hypermax, I don't think anyone here has real world experience with the smoke puff limiter yet. There was one guy on FTE or one of the other forums who bought one and was looking for advice on how to adjust it, but as far as I know he never got a lot of good feedback.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never used one myself, but they are basically an aneroid. They limit fuel delivery until the turbocharger can provide adequate boost. An external line connects the intake manifold to the aneroid to allow manifold pressure to activate the aneroid. Make sure it's leak free. A leak in the aneroid diaphragm or intake manifold to aneroid line will cause the injection pump to stay in the "defuel'ed" position and reduce power. Bosch IP's commonly have these from the factory.

Heath

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I understand completely how it works. I was more looking for feed back from someone who has experience. IE did it work or not. I don't want to pay $285 for something that I am not sure about.

I suppose giving them a call is the best way to go. I just can't see calling a company to ask about one of their products and getting anything but good news.

PZ

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The Bosch IP on my Mercedes has the aneroid compensator like Heath described, it's a very common problem on these cars to loose fueling when the banjo fitting supplying manifold pressure to the aneroid gets clogged.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I had always wondered why stanadyne hadn't put one of the things on the turbo equipped engines and when I saw the Hypermax unit, I called and was lucky enough to speak at length with the guy who designed the thing and he had come to the same conclusion ...except he did something about it :D
When I asked about function he said that it functions just like the bosch units and they are fully adjustable. So having delt with the bosch units for years, it would be fairly easy to dial one in, real easy with a slush box, but still not hard with a handshaker. You want it to where at 2/3 throttle no smoke , if you floor it momentary puff of smoke until the turbo has a chance to catch up. it you set it to match like that you will have a mix leaned out enough to where you are burning more air , less fuel, more power.
Where it has an advantage over just * taking your foot out of it* is by hammering on it, you get the injection advance curve internally working with you while delivering a lower amount of fuel where without the thing if you just take your foot out of it, you basically drop your advance curve to idle dropping your power off and making it not want to accelerate unless you stand on it. The anaeroid allows you to gain rpms by inducing teh minimum amount of fuel needed. At higher altitudes it would help a bunch with lowering egts and pulling power

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree its a great idea. After seeing how the bosch clone IP in the 2nd gen diesel ranger works, I was sold.

You can't quite rock the truck when reving it (giving a deceptive impression of a sluggish engine), but on power operation is essentiall idiot proof. You can floor it in lower RPMs and all it does is slow down. No smoke lugging, no crazy EGTs, no ring coking.

Not sure if I could justify the cost, but considering my tall gearing and relatively wide gaps between gears, my truck would benefit from such a device. It would be nice to be able to drive without constantly looking in my side mirror to avoid the smoke lugging. I bet fuel economy under cruise control could benefit too.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread but for anyone interested, I do have an update on this.

I've been running the hypermax smoke puff limiter for a few years now. It is an improvement but not as much as I hoped. The Bosch VE pumps have a dynamic response that makes them a true smoke control device across the operating map. The Hypermax setup has a much smaller diaphragm that tends to work only as an On/Off switch with nothing in between. It is adjustable but once you reach the minimum boost thresh hold, it pretty much releases all the fuel at once, so you still end up with a cloud of black soot (and the EGT risk that comes with it). It also tends to be a bit sticky when the engine is cold. Ultimately, I still have to drive with one eye on the side mirror to avoid smoke lugging in high gear.

Now that I understand how it works, I might be able to make a new one that uses a bigger, softer diaphragm but who knows when I'll have time to try that.

Overall, it's a disappointment and I wouldn't recommend it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old thread but for anyone interested, I do have an update on this.

I've been running the hypermax smoke puff limiter for a few years now. It is an improvement but not as much as I hoped. The Bosch VE pumps have a dynamic response that makes them a true smoke control device across the operating map. The Hypermax setup has a much smaller diaphragm that tends to work only as an On/Off switch with nothing in between. It is adjustable but once you reach the minimum boost thresh hold, it pretty much releases all the fuel at once, so you still end up with a cloud of black soot (and the EGT risk that comes with it). It also tends to be a bit sticky when the engine is cold. Ultimately, I still have to drive with one eye on the side mirror to avoid smoke lugging in high gear.

Now that I understand how it works, I might be able to make a new one that uses a bigger, softer diaphragm but who knows when I'll have time to try that.

Overall, it's a disappointment and I wouldn't recommend it.

Thank you VERY much for that. Just saved me $300!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Wes,

Always glad to hear that someone is still working on making improvements on these. I don't know if and when my moose pump will die, but I'll be watching to see what you come up with. Hell, I still want to build another 6.9 some day too.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Wes,

Always glad to hear that someone is still working on making improvements on these. I don't know if and when my moose pump will die, but I'll be watching to see what you come up with. Hell, I still want to build another 6.9 some day too.
Thanks David, always pushing the envelope with these love what I do. Saw 430cc out of a two plunger today, never thought I’d see that.