White/grey smoke from WMO

BeerKiller

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking to clean up the smoke under load from running waste oil. Truck is a 92 Cummins and I have been running 80WMO/20RUG mix for a few months now. Truck seems to run just fine but I have white/greyish smoke almost all the time. Every time I shift gears a big cloud comes out and I am looking to try and clean it up a little bit. I am not sure what the cause of it is except possibly unburnt fuel? Thank you for any help you may have.

BeerKiller

Reaction score
I will also add that I run the oil through a centrifuge at about 5gal an hour and the truck has a 5 micron filter on it. I don't heat the WMO on the truck currently.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im just shooting from the hip, but since your Cummins is DI it probably needs the fuel heated. And your injectors, if they're stock, have a different spray than the IH IDI and might be coked causing the mist to be wrong and your burn to be incomplete. Once a month or so do a big hot blow out, pull a trailer load of stuff over hills for 40 miles, or spend a day racing everything that revs their engine at a red light. But you might pull an injector and look at it.

BeerKiller

Reaction score
Yea I did pull all of the injectors about 3 months ago and they didnt look too bad so I just cleaned them up and threw them back in. On the other hand, the spray could be shot as I think they are originals and have 325K on them. I would like to look at heating up the WMO but I havent researched enough to find the best method of doing so. I do get on her every now and then but she is no speed freak haha.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you just start WMO a few months ago? That's how the OP reads. If so the WMO would do the cokeing. And yeah, I think that high mileage for injectors. And speed doesn't matter, it's getting the exhaust gas temps up to burn out the combustion chamber. My take on WMO is that it's a science experiment with a good deal of variables. In your part of the country heating,I think, is an absolute must.

BeerKiller

Reaction score
Sorry I have been running WMO for about 6 months however my father has been running it for a few years now. Yea I knew what you meant on the exhaust temp. Every once in awhile I will give her a good 3/4 throttle up one of the hills I drive everyday and that will get the exhaust temp about 1100-1200*F for about 45-60 seconds.

I have thought about installing one of those stick on 12V heaters for oil pans on the stainless filter housing I have. The only reason I havent done that yet is the filter housing is back toward the fuel tank and I think the fuel would cool back down by the time it reaches the pump. I would assume heating the fuel right before the pump would be the most ideal.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of oil are you using? That can have an effect. Aircraft piston oil and gas blends are smokey compared to a 15w40/gas blend. What type of gas are you using? Old(stale)/new/avgas? What are you ambient temps outside?
If they are original injectors then they might be not spraying a good pattern anymore.

How is the truck running otherwise? Power levels? Can Heater putting out? Not an expert but I think 45seconds at high temps are not going to clear coking. I tend to 20min hill climb not crazy hard or anything, but pulling some weight. Seems to run better after. Warm fuel going into the ip would be helpful.

Dieselstop forum has several threads on wmo and water methanol injection as a maintenance cleaning. I am trying to find them

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online