Hypermax is going to make a Fire Ring for the idi!

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY build has been stalled due to the lack of funds. I had to put a replacement engine in the wifes mitsu eclipse in november, then Xmas, so buying parts has stopped and i am confirming Part numbers on the trans adapter and such needed to complete the install before I buy gaskets and pistons for the build. I have found that the truck parts guys don't want to dig through piles of flywheels and bellhousings looking for part numbers. They quote me prices butt won't guarantee that they will fit. so shipping parts to me that may not fit or are not a complete set dosen't make me feel verry good.cookoo

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY MH build is low priority. Its not my DD so if it takes another year to get it done ok. The wife has another full year of college before she is done and then she needs to get working so we can move to Arizona. I have a intercooler for my build. and 2 blocks, 4 heads, 3 cranks,2 sets of non turbo rods, 1 set of turbo rods, 1 turbo IP (needs rebuilt to be a moose) 2 Turbos all the best front and rear plates and parts from 5 engines I have purchased for this project. I just need to figure out what combo I will use for the motorhome. I also want to rebuild a 92 to 94 truck after I finish the MH so Im thinkin of saving the best combo for that build. (the wife dosent know about that yet) ;Really

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the precups in the idi make it much harder as its not a ring its a ring with a tumor because if you machine into the precup you will have issues so you have to go around. the non machine ones are problly a copper ring on a gasket setup like some newer vehicles have but this is very interesting maybe you should call back and get more info. also to machine the groove you will need to find a bad ass cnc with a universsal comp program or something

I don't have nearly enough knowledge to fully understand all the work that would go into production of these rings but anyone else is more than welcome to call. He asked me if I wanted to be kept up to speed through updates, so I'm more than sure Ron would be willing to answer the questions of whomever would want to call and ask specifics.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also good luch with you build racer30. I hope it gets off the ground soon. And a turbo 7.3 would be cool for your truck. ;)

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to see a big name like Hypermax interested in IDI's again. Hopefully this catches on with others too.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
the precups in the idi make it much harder as its not a ring its a ring with a tumor because if you machine into the precup you will have issues so you have to go around. the non machine ones are problly a copper ring on a gasket setup like some newer vehicles have but this is very interesting maybe you should call back and get more info. also to machine the groove you will need to find a bad ass cnc with a universsal comp program or something

This is exactly what i was looking for. I was not bashing thd idi or telling people to do a swap. I completly forgot about the pre cups in the idi head. I had thought in my little head as to why no one has done it before. Makes sence. Thanks

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I can't believe how fast you Nmb2 supporters are to give Justin credit for anything he says he supposedly did. You realize this is the guy that made a reputation here soley of belittling our most upstanding members, lying about things hed supposedly done to his first engine build and being dishonest about just about everything he said over here. What urks me here is that you give Justin credit for something he had absolutely nothing to do with. There are 2 members here who have been pushing hypermax to invest into the idi powerplant again and you didnt name either one of them. Some may think oh who cares who gets credit for it but to those who went through all the work and time spent on the phone with hypermaxs engineer it is kind of a big deal especially when the guy that gets the credit for it had nothing to do with it and had such a background as NMB2 did here. Yea its nice hypermax is looking into developing new head gaskets for the idi. Im excited about it too.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I can't wait to see what they come up with ;Sweet Not complaining, but I'm honestly surprised they are willing to invest this much time an effort into a 20 year old engine :dunno

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Just next time try to give those credit who actually went through the work to earn it.
I personally was not going to say anything about it even though guys have been asking me because hypermax told me its nowhere definite yet whats going to happen. They werent even sure about materials yet. Honestly dont get your hopes up just yet. I have a good feeling hypermax will pull through from my conversations with them but dont go off making plans like this is set in stone just yet. Ok.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sean-
relax. it's only a rumor at this point. The only reason why the halls of Hypermax engineering is so hallowed is because they have put out into reality some very off-the-wall thinking. It doesn't hurt to have a R&D facility to make well-funded dreams into reality. Therein lies the problem. They prolly have this product already researched and on the shelf. It's going to take more than a couple "interested" buyers to motive them to put a product on the market. Passion or economics. It's one thing to be an enthusiast and stick to believing a 20 year old concept, it's a totally different thing when you are putting forward capital for an anticipated return. Problem with these motors is when they are put together right, you won't see the customer ever again or at least for 500,000 miles.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably using an o-ring for the machineless... Cost sounds similar to cometic too, does hypermax actually make the headgaskets themselves?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how fast you Nmb2 supporters are to give Justin credit for anything he says he supposedly did. You realize this is the guy that made a reputation here soley of belittling our most upstanding members, lying about things hed supposedly done to his first engine build and being dishonest about just about everything he said over here. What urks me here is that you give Justin credit for something he had absolutely nothing to do with. There are 2 members here who have been pushing hypermax to invest into the idi powerplant again and you didnt name either one of them. Some may think oh who cares who gets credit for it but to those who went through all the work and time spent on the phone with hypermaxs engineer it is kind of a big deal especially when the guy that gets the credit for it had nothing to do with it and had such a background as NMB2 did here. Yea its nice hypermax is looking into developing new head gaskets for the idi. Im excited about it too.

I never said he gets all the credit for the hypermax rings but he is definitely a big part of it. It was his build that drew a lot of interest from those who didn't even have an idi and that gained some attention from hypermax too. So in all actuality he did have quite a bit to do with Hypermax making those rings.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he was making a point that there was more than just 1 person who has been trying to get hypermax to make these parts. you named one person, so in theory gave him all the credit. whether or not thats how you meant it is irrelevant. i havent been on here long enough to figure out what this justin guy did so i wont get in the middle of that

as for the kits... this is great news if they go into production

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhm Hypermax already made a high performance headgasket for the 7.3 And last I heard from some one who asked about their fabled 900hp IDI They still had some on there shelfs along with afew Ppump comversions and such but this was over a year ago, Also thouse gaskets used a C ring I cant help but wounder if the no machine is this very gasket.

Also corect me if I'm wrong but I was under the impresion that when you oringed a block only the block was machine so in theory that would work with the precup aslong as a source foor gaskets to go with the orings was availible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online