Hypermax is going to make a Fire Ring for the idi!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to tell you that Hypermax is in the process of developing a Fire Ring kit for the idi. The first time I actually heard it was from NMB2 and I called Ron from Hypermax to get some more info as far as timeline and other stuff. Ron said that they are looking into doing two different kits. One will not have to have any machining done from what I understood and the other will have to have the block machined to accept the rings. I asked him what a round about price would be for each kit and he said that the kit that did not require any machine work would be around $500 and the other one would be around $1200. IF Hypermax does get this done, it would be a real step forward for idi performance and reliability. As far as the timeline goes, they are hoping to get started in the next few weeks and possibly will be done by the end of February. Ron did also want me to say that this is not a for sure thing because they are just in the planning stages right now. All credit for this news goes to Justin for telling me about it. But anyway, this setup will be pretty cheap and will solve all of the problems with idi gaskets for a reasonable price. ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda think that tis a wait n see at this point, sounds good...almost too good to be true, lets all just remain calm, and don't forget to breath

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can you put a fire ring in with NO machining?

Idk but that's what he told me. He seemed pretty open about it but if anyone was to be able to make a kit like that, it would be hypermax. He did talk a lil bit about the advancement in technology makes stuff like that easier.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda think that tis a wait n see at this point, sounds good...almost too good to be true, lets all just remain calm, and don't forget to breath

Yep it is definitely a wait and see but Hypermax knows Idis and I'm sure they will get it done. I think the $500 one is the answer that everyone was waiting for as far as price and performance go. But like Justin has said, I do think the stock gaskets are a lil stronger than we give um credit for. Especially if the studs are overtorqued. But even with Fire Rings, I do think that any engine with crazy boost will still have to be built. But who knows at what point stock parts actually fail. We have never really hit that point cus we have never been able to push that much boost reliably until recently when Justin did his build.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be game for the cheaper no machined gasket come summer when I pull my engine out. Replacing head gaskets SUCK!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the cheaper set will definitely lead to more guys pushing the idi into the 20-25psi range. Then people are gonna start wanting more fuel after that too.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people will be interested especially if they have the heads off already.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
500$ or 1200$ :confused: Just had my cummins head o-ringed for 225 good for 70 psi boost. :dunno. I know its nothing to compare but i cant see spending 1200 for something like that.

on edit: why hasnt anyone done this on an idi head yet?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the precups in the idi make it much harder as its not a ring its a ring with a tumor because if you machine into the precup you will have issues so you have to go around. the non machine ones are problly a copper ring on a gasket setup like some newer vehicles have but this is very interesting maybe you should call back and get more info. also to machine the groove you will need to find a bad ass cnc with a universsal comp program or something

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
500$ or 1200$ :confused: Just had my cummins head o-ringed for 225 good for 70 psi boost. :dunno. I know its nothing to compare but i cant see spending 1200 for something like that.
On the other hand, how much money do you have into the Cummins swap?

Not trying to get smart; I mean that as a legitimate question...on the one hand, I want to do anything I reasonably can to make my IDI more reliable, more fuel-efficient, and more powerful, in that order of importance. On the other hand, I've been wanting a Cummins 6BT for over 15 years now (I've always admired its longevity and low-end torque), and there's a voice in the back of my head asking me if, after doing all I would ideally like to do to my IDI, I would be financially ahead as compared to swapping in a mildly built 6BT. Logic tells me that I'd be better off sticking with the IDI that I know and love, but at the same time, I have yet to figure out how to definitively shut that voice up LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well great news...;Sweet I too will be watching and waiting for this to happen. Running higher boost is going to demand an intercooler. Otherwise the air going into the engine is going to be super heated. I'm thinking it will be up around 450 to 550 degrees. A turbo pushing 12 to 14 lbs of boost can make 300+ degrees going into the engine.. In my view thats wasted boost because of the heat. Now drop the heat to lets say 200 degrees and have 14 lbs or more boost.... Now your talking. Get the boost up to 20 lbs and stil have it around 200 or 250 degrees.... I'm thinking we have a winner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online