Hypermax Cowl Induction Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The hood cowl drains are on each side of the truck. Look down under the rear edge of the front tires. You will find a black mud flat looking piece of material. Reach up behind that and the floor of the cab. There is a rubber one way valve thats about 3 inches across. Just squeeze it open and dirt or leaves might drop out. If the cowl vent is loaded with water first it will kinda wash out the pluggage but..... It will get nasty and you are going to get wet.... I removed both of my inside the cab kick panels at the floor... Then dug out plenty of muck.... Only then did I find an easier way to clean this out...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RL you have the ATS 088 like I do.... do you know if that box has a drain/low point to let the water out. I think my cowl drains are clogged, most of the water actually runs down the firewall and into the floor board where I cut the hole for the mechanical clutch rod if it's really a deluge, other than that things seem to drain really quite well.

Yup, the 088 air box has a big honkin' drain hole right at the low point in between the two mounting bolts

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I've heard a contoured deflector wont make much difference, but one of the old school straight up deflectors could have a negative impact.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about the cowl drains, fixall. I'll check those today or tomorrow.

how does the cowel induction work with a bug deflector on the hood? or the deflector just junk

I've got a formed bug deflector on my truck, and while the windshield washers won't work at highway speed, I don't think I'm able to suck in any less air because of it.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
easyiest way to clean the drains is without the fenders on. everytime i pull my fenders(bout once a year) i clean them out and run the hose threw them to get it all out. always find lots of mud. u guys probly wont. lol

i also run the hypermax kit, mainly to get my intake up higher.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Is the "horn" that screws to the intake flat?? If so I think I'm gettin one for the scout! With the flat windshield and almost straight up frame it forces the air into the cowl and through the holes in the kickpanels where the vents use to be, at 70 its quite windy in there. Id bet if I blocked off the vent holes itll really cram the air in. I was actually gonna try to fab one up with parts from home depot, but it may be more of a pain than its worth, prob better off just buyin one.

-Jon

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Ah, ok thanks for the input. Your link doesn't work, looks like it got broken up. Guess ill be custom fabbing one this weekend!;Sweet

-Jon

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent job, and excellent write-up! You've earned your place in our hall of fame, the tech articles. Here is what the drains look like for those needing to clean them. You can get to them from underneath, but you might have to move something first. You can also get to them from inside the cab.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.