Hydroboost

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,

It's been awhile since I have made a post but I have recently come across a 1989 f450 parts truck and I am wondering if I could convert my 1985 f250 to hydroboost with the parts from it? Also what exactly would be needed from the f450 it is a couple hour drive and I don't want to miss anything.

Any help would be much appreciated!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drop in.
you will need the pedal arm, hydro, 2 pressure lines, 1 hydro to pump return line, and pump assy. are both trucks auto or manual trucks?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if you can get the zf5 also. A little bit of work but worth it. Even though the f450 is a 2wd, I believe the trans will fit your 4x4, they used a 4x4 zf5 and mounted a parking brake on the back of the trans where the transfer case would normally go on the f450's.

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your responses! I am definitely going to try and get the parts. I would love the ZF5 especially because my T-19 has begun popping out of 3rd but I don't have the extra cash right now so that will have to wait.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See if you can get the zf5 also. A little bit of work but worth it. Even though the f450 is a 2wd, I believe the trans will fit your 4x4, they used a 4x4 zf5 and mounted a parking brake on the back of the trans where the transfer case would normally go on the f450's.
100% correct.
the pedal arms are a direct swapover too.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well they are a direct swap but they need to be the same body style truck to do so, such as bricknose to bricknose, obs to obs etc. otherwise you’ll need to modify it a bit

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put hydroboost in my truck this past summer; really nice upgrade. Here is what i would recommend:

First, search here for pics and other info. I posted a part number for a replacement PS pump that includes the two port reservoir. It was very cheap and you probably can't find the reservoir separately anymore.

When you grab the hydroboost get it with the old master cylinder. This will guarantee that the push rod is included! Rebuilt hydros don't seem to include that so you will be screwed without that part.

If your hydro needs a rebuild there are kits available cheap. I think the same hydro boost is used on Dodge, etc - they are all made by the same mfr (Allied Signal I think). Easy to rebuild.

Do buy two new hoses (pump to hydro, hydro to steering box). I attempted to use the old ones temporarily (to confirm fit) and one end blew leaving me stuck.

For your pedal, I suggest removing yours and having a new pin welded in the correct spot. Dimensions are available here somewhere. Be careful that the pin is in the correct spot in both directions (front to back error will cause your pedal to be too high or low).

Master cylinder, widen your mounting holes and reuse the stock MC.

Flush system really well and fill with ATF. Don't run the pump empty, a few seconds dry and it is buggered.

Total time for removal, rebuild, pedal mod, and installation is less than a days work.

Oh, when that is done, do the vacuum pump delete - you don't need that belt driven POS anymore. Wire in an electric from a newer SD, only needed to run your dash vent controls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online