Hunting broken wires.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have the cover and ford wasnt smart enough to number or label them so heres a picture.
You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, you have a 15 amp fuse in #20, in the center 2nd row up from the bottom. My #20 position doesn't have any contacts in it to put a fuse in.

Back in 08 when I 1st got the truck, it would start with the key, after putting gauges in about 6 months later, it wouldn't start with the key. I'm sure I didn't disconnect a jumper someplace under the dash. There might have been a change in 99.5 but the circuit diagram was never changed in there manual. Oh well, starts with the push button.

What a hell'va job it was getting the fuse panel back in, those two 32 point connectors that are bolted in on the back side where a *****, actually had to pound them in aways to get the bolt started, there are 6 guides to get them in straight, plastic shrinks, had to pry then pound lightly

Ya better turn those 10 amp fuses over or some amps might leak out. :D LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That truck is a late 99.i have an 02 i can look at if the dash harness is still in it.they took all the underhood harnesses and the dash is layin on the front seat.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something tells me the fuse panel and GEM has been replaced at some time. The white 32 point connector that plugs into the GEM looked like it had Pepsi or Coke spilled on it, tried to clean it with Brake Kleen, only water would remove the stains, but it's clean now. Gonna try and figure a way to put a fused jumper in it somehow. Whoever designed the wiring schematics, sure had to go home with a terrific headache each day, ya have to refer to six pages to follow a circuit. Whats gets me, is all the color coded wires go into the fuse panel, but no fuse there. Oh well, gotta drum up enough courage to go at it again.
Thanks for the pics Rich.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem.

Forgot i have an 02 550 that i can look at.if you need anything out of them let me know.the 02 550 and 02 350 are parts trucks.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was back at it again yesterday. :rotflmao

What a hell'va job it was getting the fuse panel back in, those two 32 point connectors that are bolted in on the back side where a *****, actually had to pound them in aways to get the bolt started, there are 6 guides to get them in straight, plastic shrinks, had to pry then pound lightly

Shouldn't tell on myself, BUT, when I went to install the GEM module, said to myself, what the hell the wires were in the way to remove it, YUP got the connectors in backwards, :rolleyes: The wires fold back over themselves. No damage done, just had to turn them around. :oops: :idiot:

Got it installed, reconnected the batteries, NO SMOKE, :love: turned the key on and still no start with it, everything else works just like it did with the OEM GEM, still no 4WD indication. Left the Batts connected, at least it didn't burn up overnight. :D

Now I can start checking for voltage. With the good Graces of David from TX that loaned me his wiring manual. Every circuit checked out for continuity until I get to where the #20 fuse is missing, even as far as turning the key to start.

Here I go again. :frustrated

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The interesting thing is,why are you missing that fuse?ive got 3 trucks here that all have it.these are all 2wd trucks so i cant comment on the 4wd part.

Have you owned it since new?too bad you werent close,id definately be able to figure it out if it were in front of me.i deal with these weird issues daily.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rich; I've had this truck since early (March of 08), it did start with the key, as I said before up until I installed guages in it, I might have disturbed something under the dash hooking up power to them, but could never find anything that would have became unhooked, so I just put in the push button start. Starts like that and runs with no issues.
I've traced the wiring (ohmed them all out for continuity) and the open circuit always lead back to the missing 15 amp fuse. I even went so far as to jump start it at different points (connectors) in the start circuit and it starts, until I get to the point of the missing fuse. The circuit diagram shows a #10 wire feeding that fuse from the key switch, but it dead ends at the connector to the fuse panel, the other wire that supposed to hook to that fuse from the clutch position jumper is also dead ended at the fuse panel connector. What I did was install a 15 amp fuse between those two points and the key starts it right up.
Now, there is three relays and 4 fuses (OEM) mounted next to the fuse panel, but none of them showed up in the 1999 wiring diagram manual that David from TX loaned me. Three of the four fuses are 5 amp and one is a 20 amp. Checked them for any disconnection, but it's almost impossible to trace the wiring from the IGN HOT fuse. The relays are not marked, but fuses are marked -- Aux. lites 20 --Ign. Hot 20 --Pwr. Slide Window 20 CB--Seat 20 CB.
I would think the relays are for Aux Lites--Power slide window--Power Seat of which I have none of them, they all have a connection plugin, but not connected to anything.
The fuse marked IGN. HOT could very well be in place of the 15 amp missing from the main fuse panel, but it is hot with the key ON, couldn't find any under dash connectors that are disconnected.
I've got 60 yrs of electrical/electronic trouble shooting, but THIS is giving me a terrific headache. :mad: :puke:
Wish I was closer, I'd like to give you a headache. :rolleyes: :love: LOL
The pic of the fuse panel shows the missing 15 amp fuse as compared to yours.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    965.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0759.JPG
    DSCN0759.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0761.JPG
    DSCN0761.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0763.JPG
    DSCN0763.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0765.JPG
    DSCN0765.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the wires that are supposed to go the fuse are there but not connected to anything in the fuse box?

Any other wiring have splices or cuts in them?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuse marked IGN. HOT could very well be in place of the 15 amp missing from the main fuse panel, but it is hot with the key ON, couldn't find any under dash connectors that are disconnected

Should have said NOT HOT with key on. Only fuse of the five that is hot is for the SEAT

Right now I've got that mess out where I can see them and untangle them.

So the wires that are supposed to go the fuse are there but not connected to anything in the fuse box?

That's correct.

Coffee break now, back at it in a few.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the mess.

Of the 7 connectors in the pic, 5 are not connected, the white connector on the left is for the rear slide window, the dark one, upper right appears to power all the fuses except the ING HOT fuse. ***.

More investigating, heads beginning to hurt again. LOL

Gonna go thru the 10 pages of power distribution again, see if I missed something.

Attachments

• DSCN0767.JPG
    DSCN0767.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0768.JPG
    DSCN0768.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 9

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like somebody addedcthat fuse/relay box since you dont have those accessories.

Sounds like they tried to use the missing fuse wires to feed it found out it wont work and stuck the wires together enough for the truck to sell.

Are the contacts for the missing fuse still in the fuse box.?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I have never seen a Ford fuse block labeled in that manor. Most likely it was installed by a upfiiter for additional accessories.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theyre aftermarket.if you have a fuse in the wires that are supposed to the missing fuse and it starts with the key,you found your problem with that part and fixed it.

The 4wd im not too familar with the electronics.but i just fixed a chevy.had to replace the position sensor thing in the motor case on thevtransfer case.it had no indicators till that was replaced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle