Hummin the Devil's tune...

Mr_B

Reaction score
First I just want to thank you guys for helping me with the information about getting my truck running again. ;Sweet Really helps to know those torque numbers and proper procedure. Anyways, it only turned out that one glow plug came out with out the tip so I didn't pull the other head... However, I've got it running again but now there is this mysterious humm that is strongest when my head is over the ip. :frustrate I didn't do any thing to pump just pulled it, set it aside and then put it back in. Is this a tell tell sign that the pump is about the quit?

Note that the humm is a lower pitched humm at low rpms and then increases in pitch with rpm especially when I put my foot into it while the rpms haven't really had time to change much (like under load). Any ideas? Did I possibly get a leak in the intake some where? Having seen what the "valley pan" gasket is I think I could see where it would be real easy to screw it up... What would be a good way to test for an intake leak? We used to spray brake cleaner around the intake of the small block chevys and listen to a change in idle to indicate a leak...:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be a good way to test for an intake leak? We used to spray brake cleaner around the intake of the small block chevys and listen to a change in idle to indicate a leak...:D

Can use WD40

As far as the Hummmmm, I can't help you other than to say get your head out of the IP :confused: LOL :sorry:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a sound like that for about a year before my old IP started leaking like a seive. It may or may not be related.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that work to do only one head gasket? I made that mistake. Once.

Mr_B

Reaction score
Your not very funny!!!:backoff No really, I just didn't have the time or help to do both sides, I need it running because that is how I work. No trucky no worky and then bills.....:puke: I was planning to tear down the motor and rebuild it this winter when I don't really need the truck. I found that one piston on the side I pulled the head has a glow plug piece inbeded in it from a previous owner, seems they didn't feel like taking the head off to find the piece. And another piston has some marks/ indentions all over it. Kind of like pitting but all the marks are the same size and shape and way too small to be one of the valves. Almost like a small piece of metal was just floating around in there!!! cookoo

I guess I'll just run it until the pump gives out. I have determined it is the pump I just don't know what it is and I really didn't do anything to it. Just slid it out and put it back in... What kind of lead time do I need to give you to get one of those moose pumps? I know you'll need mine and note that my pump dosn't say stanadyne but says "rebuilt" on the plate thats by the triangle cover.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not a problem. Lead time isn't really an issue. It won't help to know that it is coming or not. When I get it, it goes to the rebuilder and comes back. Totally turn around is usually a week or two, plus shipping both ways. If your in CA, figure 7 days both directions unless you want to pay extra for overnight shipping. Realistically, west coast folks could be 3 or 4 weeks total. Shoot me a PM for more info.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's not a problem. Lead time isn't really an issue. It won't help to know that it is coming or not. When I get it, it goes to the rebuilder and comes back. Totally turn around is usually a week or two, plus shipping both ways. If your in CA, figure 7 days both directions unless you want to pay extra for overnight shipping. Realistically, west coast folks could be 3 or 4 weeks total. Shoot me a PM for more info.

Uh, Mel, Not trying to stick my nose in here, but having recently had some serious trouble trying to get things shipped overnight air freight that are a lot less dangerous than diesel fuel ( and paying for overnight because their websites gave the option, then getting stuck waiting a week and a half for UPS ground, since right now with these fuel prices, UPS is not moving a trailer until it's bursting at the seams, Got the price difference refunded, but, what a pain. ), I seriously doubt a core could be flushed out clear enough to meet FAA regs by the average person, to make it your way by overnight. I don't know what the composition of the test fluid is that your pump man uses on his calibration bench, but you may have the same issue there :eek:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should see some of the pumps I get by ground even. Boxes are often soaked in diesel fuel. LOL It amazes me some of them show up. The key is to make sure the pump is good and empty, and then seal it in plastic. Gary tried real hard, and still the noze cone managed to puncture the bag. You really can't over protect them when you send them in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I actually doubled bagged my pump going to Mel after I pulled the triangle plate and draining as mush diesel that would drip out. Next time I will install some plugs in all the fuel line openings. When I got my pump back from Mel it was sealed up with plastic caps on all opening but. Just a little fluid did leak out into the plastic bag. Nothing is UPS foolproof anymore.LOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it a dose of power service or stanadyne or Howes. It should keep you rolling for awhile. Like I said, mine did that for more than a year before it started to get really bad, first thing was that noise, second was bad fuel mileage, then leaking out the weep hole and finally dumping fuel into the oil. Never left me sitting though!