How/Where to add SCA

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested my coolant with the NAPA strips today and it is fin except for the apparent absence of the SCA. The coolant is bright green and looks fresh. It tested good otherwise. I’m good with flushing out for an elc but would like to wait until warmer weather. Am I ok to add the SCA to get me through winter? If so is there a method to it? I figured I’d just pour some in the radiator and drive to work. It can cool through the day and I can recheck before I go home and add as needed. Repeat the next morning and so on.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running green coolant with sca additive is just as good as fleet/final charge. fleet/final charge is just pre charged with sca and every year after using fleet/final charge you need to dip your coolant and add required amount of sca. What ever bottle of sca you get or the test strip package should say how much sca to add per gallon capacity of cooling system.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question, will it hurt anything to just dump the full charge in or do I need to do it gradually as it’s running? I figure I need roughly 2 pints according to the test kit instructions. They say 1 pint per 4 gallons.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say drain off a pint of coolant and add a pint, drive it today then check it again tomorrow. You don't want to overdose it, apparently, so sneak up on it.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, that’s what I’ll do. I just replaced the clutch and flywheel and don’t have enough travel to disengage the clutch. I’m assuming due to sloppy bushing and MC rod. I have parts supposedly arriving tomorrow to fix that and hopefully then It will be driveable.