How to remove #7 Injector and a stuck glow plug tip

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I replaced my glow plugs about 6 months ago and never did #7 becauese I couldn't get to it. I recently had some hard starting issues. Checked #7 and no light on the test light.

So I finally managed to get the wrench in there and the threaded body of the plug came out but the tip itself stayed in. I squeezed my hand in there and gave the thing a jiggle and it feels to be stuck pretty good. I've got it soaking in pb blaster now for 24 hours. Pleaese note this is a ZD-9 Motorcraft plug.

So in order to try to gain better access I attempted to remove the injector. I got the return line off but can't figure out how to get a wrench back there and i cant get a socket over the return line male end on the injector. If it threads off, I can't unthread because the heatshield for the turbo is blocking. Any suggestions are appreciated

I tried putting that cylinder at TDC to prevent thw thing falling into the cylinder. I used a 15/16 socket and rachet to move the crank around until the slot is in approxiamately the 5:00 position. Is this correct or am I supposed to line that mark up with something?

So once I can finally gain better access to the stuck tip I have some needlenose vise grips I may try to use to fashion a slide hammer. Hopefully with a little better access I can get enough play to pull it out.

Any advice here is really welcome. I have been messing with this thing for a few days and really need my truck back in action.

Last edited:

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Same as the other 7... 1" socket possibly with short extension (frankly #1 was harder), no idea on the broken plug.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I'm a little crazy but, my last stuck one I soaked for a day in PBS blaster. Still wouldn't budge. So I fires the truck and she came out. I say let the compression do it's job. LOL

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check Leroydiesel.com he has glow plugs pullers for 6.5's and I bet it will grab your plug. IF it breaks off then pull the injector out and try to vacuum it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online