HOW TO mount front winch bumper '94 F350 with RFS bracket ???

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reverse front shackle bracket on the front of the 02/94 F350. Any ideas on mounting a front bumper with winch? Most everything i have seen so far wants the same real estate as the reverse front shackle bracket. I just saw someone put a 2017 bumper on the front of an OBS. didn't look bad, I still desire a winch set up.

The weather has been beating me up for the past 2 days and not much of anything has gotten done.
Not to mention the wrong starter for the Allison trans conversion. I figure to pull off the fuel filter shraeder (sp?) valve and hook up small fuel pump and fill up the system before stuffing the engine back into the hole.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If you gotta ask":sorry:

Not gunna find a regular check the box unit for a modified rig (read shackle flip)...
Custom made something is in yer future ...
custom here = make it fit, modify stuff till it fits!

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Like @Clb said, it will more than likely have to be custom. I would imagine you could probably have the bumper mount in the same holes, but over the brackets with longer bolts to save from making all new mounts, but you would still have to support that area better. The shackle mounts and winch bumper will put a lot of stress on the front of the frame in different ways.

Rock

Kalmanto

Reaction score
I'd call up a small welding shop and check if they could make something.
Whenever I need something custom the one I've used did it and the prices were better then expected.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those frame horns probably won't be happy with me and >IF< I can find a fabricator in the area to do it, I suspect I will have to reinforce the frame from behind the core support and forward.
If all else fails, I saw a video on putting the 2017 front bumper on that will hide a lot of ugliness when doing the 4X4 mod and raising up the ride height.
Hmm. Think I will get the 2017 bumper and the brackets needed to do that then look at adding a winch mount to that.
Maybe.
Something on the clean and sterile side. I am not looking for a "railroad tie" appearance.
i kin du dat un muh udder truk.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one makes a first gen front bumper for these either...

Realize 2 things with winches...
1 watch the obstruction angles for the winch wire! (This includes the fairlead ,bumper ,winch plate ect.!)
You must be registered for see images attach

TWO think of the stresses of 10000-15000# (double the dead weight min)on the frame and where the new stress riser will be, besides the dead weight on the suspension...

Edit heck
Three
Airflow and cooling

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a winch mount out of two pieces of 3" x 4" heavy wall square tubing, then bolted a trailer hitch receiver to the bottom. The two pieces of tubing fit between the frame rails and the hitch receiver aligns with the front license plate mount on stock bumper. Mounted the winch on a trailer hitch and cut a small square hole through the stock bumper. When the winch isn't needed, the square hole is covered by a license plate.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a rsk adds about 1/2'' to the width of the frame horns. on obs or brick/bull. i have one on my truck no winch bumper yet.
however the rsk should add a lot of frame structure at the front end especially with a lot of weight and force from a winch bumper. also the winch bumper should add some structure as well to the front end.
obs bumpers bolt on to angle iron brackets inside the frame so it shouldn't interfere with a rsk.
if it is bolting onto the outside of the frame rail i would suggest vending the brackets out 1/4'' on each side, or you are getting a custom made bumper in which case it shouldn't matter as it is built to the truck

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bumper I am looking at is made in Prineville, Ore.
The name of the outfit, I believe is "Truckstop". (?)
Bring a chunk of change.
Neighbor down the road has one and not a lightweight toy.
I am currently fighting other battles and the bumper is awhile away currently.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. That probably is it. I did a real quick look and about $2500 plus. . . .
That was enough to make me stop looking for now.
Considering everything else that has already been done or is in the works, another $2500 is not a scary number, looking at the entire disaster. The wife told me I have until May 15th to get it on the road.
6 weeks and the weather drying out should get it done.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a quick look at them (buckstop). looks like all their stuff is showing 16 weeks out on lead time. Just FYI

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets see now, Thursday is a trip to Springfield, Oregon to Sky's off road design to pick up a different track bar and some "High Steer" components that will put the tie rod, Drag link and the track bar close to horizontal to reduce/eliminate bump steer.
After that I have to fab linkage for the transfer case, finish hooking up components and place the TCM for the Allison.
Sometime I have to figure out what length drive lines I need to have made and then eventually I get to work on the rear springs and height blocks.
The wife has given me until the 15th of May to get this done.
That should work. Providing the alligators leave me alone that long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online