Cut / Notch a bumper

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the '94 CC 7.3idiT toy is parked on jack stands for the next 7 to 10 days and looking at the front reverse shackle mount I am considering putting a front hitch on it. The stock bumper is the desired choice with the receiver hitch dropping out below in the center of it all.
The more I look, the less I like due to the location of the reverse shackle cross tube. I figure some 3/8 steel and creativity might get me what I am looking for. Then again that superhitch on the back might become the winch hitch.
At any rate, I might need to cut some notches into the front bumper. to facilitate hitch installation. Any suggestions?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might do it. The notches are about 4 inches deep and about 3-1/2 inches across.

Truly a case of "Incorporating mistakes into the design."
Followed by "Beat it to fit."
Then "Paint to match."
If you can still see your mistakes, you haven't used enough paint.
Enamel paint is good. It doubles as a filler and concealer.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I went with a pair of offset receivers, I could look at using those holes, I am looking at a center mount and I suspect 3/8" steel is going to be my friend. Now if i was real smart i would wire an outlet outside for the 220 tomb welder of change the gas on my 110V Lincoln splatter welder.

square1

Reaction score
That's how mine are done. Pics are in the link at bottom of post #4 above.
I've abused it a little, but not to the point of the front bumper being on the ground with the rear tires in the air (yat).

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My RSK came from Sky's Off Road Design in Springfield Oregon. Nice round tube. Looking at this one and another $500 with the upgrades, might be the way I will go in the future. Seeing that this has already been built and looking at it, the right way.
Yeah, the more I look at this and think about it, it will be the future set up.
The only great consideration might be the pulling capacity of this set up before somethings bends?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped a line to them and also to Skys. The response from Skys was they have done it and cracked frame horns. No word yet from the maker of this item.
Might not be a good thing.
After this toy is together I will look at it again and see if I can find a way to wrap around the frame horn ends and secure it also behind the core support. If I can effectively replicate the CURT hitch with a 9K rating, I will be happy. The front mount will be for light usage and the super hitch on the rear will be the heavy stuff.