How to identify different brand glow plugs

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick check of three different glow plugs on our 7.3 IDI. I checked #1 and it had a resistance reading of around .5 ohms, #2 had no reading and #4 had a reading of 1 ohm. The tops of the three glow plugs I looked at each seemed a little different. Is there a way to determine brand while they are installed in the engine?

Oh yeah, glow plug cycle time is down around 2 seconds or so now when first starting up. Not good.....:mad:

Thanks,

Brad

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Beru and a Champion and the only real differance is on top of the hex the champion has a red insulator and the beru has a black one. the numbers stamped on the hex flats are Champion are 2N and 5V on the Beru its 09S. On the very end of the connector the Champion is completely rounded and the Beru has a small flat across the top. All of the names and numbers are below the threads so they are un readable when installed. Hope this helps
vbgarage.php

Last edited:

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GRuss said:
I'm looking at a Beru and a Champion and the only real differance is on top of the hex the champion has a red insulator and the beru has a black one. the numbers stamped on the hex flats are Champion are 2N and 5V on the Beru its 09S. On the very end of the connector the Champion is completely rounded and the Beru has a small flat across the top. All of the names and numbers are below the threads so they are un readable when installed. Hope this helps http://www.oilburners.net/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=477

GRuss, thanks for the pictures. One of mine looks like the Beru. One of the others has a flat top on the GP. If it stops raining today I might try and check them all to determine how many GPs I need to buy. Let the fun begin :eek:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
BKahler said:
GRuss, thanks for the pictures. One of mine looks like the Beru. One of the others has a flat top on the GP. If it stops raining today I might try and check them all to determine how many GPs I need to buy. Let the fun begin :eek:

You do glowplugs like spark plugs.All or none.If one is bad(and they are all the same brand) then the rest ain't far behind.But I would change all 8,test the old ones and keep the good berus for spares incase your stuck in a parking lot at 10PM in dead cold with a no start problem like I was a few years ago.I would have given 30 bucks each that night!

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
You do glowplugs like spark plugs.All or none.If one is bad(and they are all the same brand) then the rest ain't far behind.But I would change all 8,test the old ones and keep the good berus for spares incase your stuck in a parking lot at 10PM in dead cold with a no start problem like I was a few years ago.I would have given 30 bucks each that night!

Ok, I've taken your advice. I manage to find on ebay a set of Motorcraft glow plugs (pictures in the auction showed motorcraft labels).

When they get here I'll start swapping them out. I've read several articles on how to swap them and the one I like the best is where you rotate the pistons to be at tdc for each gp you're working on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any problems. ;Sweet

Thanks,

Brad

Freight_Train

Reaction score
BKahler said:
Ok, I've taken your advice. I manage to find on ebay a set of Motorcraft glow plugs (pictures in the auction showed motorcraft labels).

When they get here I'll start swapping them out. I've read several articles on how to swap them and the one I like the best is where you rotate the pistons to be at tdc for each gp you're working on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any problems. ;Sweet

Thanks,

Brad

did you get ZD9s and not ZD11s right?the ZD11 is for the powerstroke and are WAY too long for our trucks.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
When you take out the old ones, the name BERU should be stamped on the hex. They will be the Motorcraft ones that you'll want to keep for those "dark, cold nights". I keep the old good ones in a baggie in glove box. OkieGringo

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZD-9

Freight_Train said:
did you get ZD9s and not ZD11s right?the ZD11 is for the powerstroke and are WAY too long for our trucks.

Yep, ZD-9's. I looked at that real close before deciding to buy. Now I'm just hoping I don't have any trouble getting the old ones out. Last thing I need right now is to deal with a broken tip.

I'll definitely keep any good Beru's that I find.

Thanks,

Brad

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
You do glowplugs like spark plugs.All or none.If one is bad(and they are all the same brand) then the rest ain't far behind.But I would change all 8,test the old ones and keep the good berus for spares incase your stuck...

One things for sure (if) you practice the above method (change all)...you'll have a TON of perfectly good spare GP's.
Send them to me...I'll use em ;Sweet
Last year I switched to Beru (all new)...if 1 or 2 go bad even a few years from now, that's the one I'll change out...not all, no reason.
Sure keep a few old good plugs for the (just in case) deal.

I do STRONGLY suggest (once a year) to fully remove each plug not only for visual inspection but, so them little suckers don't freeze-up in their holes!

Just my opinion...and I'm sticking to it :D

Last edited:

Freight_Train

Reaction score
HammerDown said:
One things for sure (if) you practice the above method (change all)...you'll have a TON of perfectly good spare GP's.
Send them to me...I'll use em ;Sweet
Last year I switched to Beru (all new)...if 1 or 2 go bad even a few years from now, that's the one I'll change out...not all, no reason.
Sure keep a few old good plugs for the (just in case) deal.

I do STRONGLY suggest (once a year) to fully remove each plug not only for visual inspection but, so them little suckers don't freeze-up in their holes!

Just my opinion...and I'm sticking to it :D

well,I should have stated too that if you have a Glow plug go out after a couple weeks just replace that one.But if you get good service outta the plugs and in 1 or 2 or 3 years you get a bad plug or two might as well just swap them all like doing spark plugs.Sure you can get a bad one even from Beru that only last a week or month and that surely wouldn't constitute full replacement and in this case there is not telling how old they actually are or what brands they actually are and it definatly calls for a clean sweep.