How to get camber bushings out

smithman

Reaction score
Check on rock auto for alignment bushings. They have a huge selection of various brands and I have a set of 6 position solid raybestos ones that key into the tabs on the arm. These carry some advantages to tweak it on the fly, more flexibility over the 2 pos slugs.

For the center pivot bushings I replaced mine proactively when I rebuilt my truck but the stock ones still seemed in usable condition with no rot or sleeve issues. I don't know if there's an easy way to inspect them on the truck without being unbolted.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
How much distance is there now between the axle and bump stop? That will also help give some suggestions also.

At the moment, I’m leaning toward something else wrong. It should have messed both sides he fairly equally.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I will have to measure it but pass side looks to be a couple inches more space.

I actually drove the truck down the road and it looks like the wheels straightened out a fair amount. I will get some pictures up this afternoon.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After driving the springs will definitely settle some, you should get the alignment sorted after things settle a bit to avoid doing the job twice.

Pivot bushings can easily last 200k miles, but if the engine is leaking diesel and oil, it can eat up the stock style rubber bushings fast. One side getting fuel dripped on it more can cause one side to sit different than the other, poly bushings eliminates this issue.

ISPKI

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here are some before bushing and driving down the road, and after bushing and driving down the road. Squared up rather nicely, still going to at least get alignment checked, feels like it pulls left a bit as it drives.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the caster is off side to side, that will cause it to pull a little bit. There are no 2 part bushings, the camber and caster are adjusted with the one bushing. When they set it up on the alignment machine and go through it's paces, the computer on the alignment machine will tell them what degree of bushing each side needs and where to set them at to get the camber and caster in the ballpark all at one shot.

ISPKI

Reaction score

Thats a 2 pc bushing that, I believe could adjust caster and camber independant of each other. Although I hear they are not nearly as durable as the 1 piece design.

That is the style that I installed which I believe only adjusts camber as it has only 2 settings, +2 or -2 degrees camber. The cog style bushings would allow caster adjustment as well.

smithman

Reaction score
Was tearing down a spare axle today and came across the same rusty mess.
A massive soak in penetrating lube, and a balljoint press is all that's needed. My OTC has never failed me for U and Balljoints, and this was no exception.
I did mine on the floor but you can do this on the truck.

View media item 608
View media item 609

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online