How NOT to do a rear brake job on a truck

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
One look at this picture should enlighten as to why this job sucked...

You must be registered for see images attach

Drum was fused onto the hub so only way to do a brake job was to remove it. Reason for this was neglect - the brakes had been run until the rivets cut very deep groves in the drum, and the adjuster was seized up so I couldn't back the shoes off far enough to clear the rivets. Had this been a semi-float I would've been in there with the cutting torch. cookoo

Word to the wise - Replace/recondition EVERY component in that drum or you will be back for more. I was. I cleaned up the adjuster, anti-siezed it, replaced springs and hardware, the drum, shoes, wheel seal... BUT I cheaped out and didn't drop $12 on a wheel cylinder and as such, yes sir- back for more. Noticed the other day the cylinder was leaking brake fluid through the rear bore.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What a great pic of that horrible coil spring that holds the shoe to the backing plate. Thats where the special release tool is really a "go to bed with tool" that you need LONG BEFORE this job is started. Been there. done that with one good hand too. Never will do that again either...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since 1988 and 'new', I've only replaced my rear brakes maybe 3 times.
Special tool...?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. That tool that is required to remove that coil spring seen in this pic. Snapon makes one as do many other tool companies. Towcat suggests a tool made by the matco truck guys. Says it wont break like the Snapon tool does.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's required, but could be easier.
I just use my old school brake spring pliers.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Gary, perhaps you could post a picture of this amazing tool?

I never liked any of the lame brake spring tools I've seen, so I've been making due with my giant needlenose pliers for over a decade now, and they usually work rather well for me. However, if there really is an easier way....

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a part# for this tool i have never seen anything special for these hpld downs besides the old fasioned pliars

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Since 1988 and 'new', I've only replaced my rear brakes maybe 3 times.
Special tool...?

Probably means your brakes are never adjusted correctly. They wear down just a little bit then don't do anything. Have to keep adjusting them to have good brakes.

I never use any special tools for drum brakes. I just use some needle nose. Have to turn into the Hulk to do it, but that just makes it more fun.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try making this...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a matco one that looks like a 2 pronged fork for atleast 20 yrs.makes that spring easy.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have had a matco one that looks like a 2 pronged fork for atleast 20 yrs.makes that spring easy.

I saw those on amazon for $10.
Looks like it would definitely make things easier.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk
Edit: Actually Matco sells them for $9.95.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A trick I've used is to grind off the head on the "nail" that holds the spring in place on the backing plate. That will give the shoes a lot of play and you might be able to dislodge the drum. +1 on the old school brake pliers.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
A trick I've used is to grind off the head on the "nail" that holds the spring in place on the backing plate. That will give the shoes a lot of play and you might be able to dislodge the drum. +1 on the old school brake pliers.
Yep, just use a drill and drill the heads off the retainer pin. This relaxes the springs.

I use channel locks when working on the brakes on these trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online