How much is a sleeved 7.3 IDI Turbo block worth?

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if you watched them , did they have loctite or any such stuff on the sleeve? If so that is not good. Also 10 off the deck is a lot unless it was pitted. 5 is the norm.

I watched them install only 1 sleeve. They used a gray looking liquid. They told me it is to help with the heat transfer and prevent leaks because they are sleeving a cavitated bore.

They took way too much off the deck no matter what. The centerline of the main bearings to the top of the deck of the block is 11.137 to 11.141. Thats 4 thousands max cut. Yours is now 6 thousands less so the pistons are going to be 6 thou closer to hitting the heads or valves. Now if you cut the heads too your probably going to have an interference fit with pistons hitting valves and the heads. Best thing to do now is mill the total amount taken from the heads and block off the pistons. Might mill the low compression pistons too if you can find them. They already have a 10 thousands lower install height. Sorry for the bad news.

I plan to mill my pistons .040 anyways.

I may be sounding like a jerk here and this is aimed at no one, income always dictates any maintenance, I get that. But these engines are not a cheapo rebuild, but, if done right they will last a long long time.

josie, find a used engine, throw it in, finish the rebuild as you can. Keep the truck. Good ones are harder to find every day.

I apoligize for bluntness, My back has been acting up and it makes me cranky.

Sorry to ask this, but since I'm rebuilding the heads, what are the correct shims for 910-16 springs? where do I get them?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gray liquid should be ceramic material, if so I have used it on valve seats and it works great on them.