Transmission issues- rumble strip & hunting OD

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There's also the heater core lines over there, could be weeping then running down the head.
I would suspect the block heater myself.
I did a bit of reading and it seems like solenoids need to be changed.
Technically, those are a 4R100 when they came behind a Power Stroke. I believe that they had all of the upgraded parts that were known to fail in the E4OD.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey here’s a thought..there is a zf5 complete set up for sale about an hour from my place. It’s from a 94 f-super duty 4x4 with 88k on it. The guy said he has everything for a swap.

Asking $1600

Anyone want to give some pros and cons to this?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Do you know if the 4r100 would
Bolt on?
Yes it will. You'd have to change the torque convertor since the IDIs use 4 studs and the Power Strokes use 6. Or you could have your flex plate drilled for the 6 stud set up.
Hey here’s a thought..there is a zf5 complete set up for sale about an hour from my place. It’s from a 94 f-super duty 4x4 with 88k on it. The guy said he has everything for a swap.

Asking $1600

Anyone want to give some pros and cons to this?
I'm not sure that you can have a 4X4 F Superduty. They use a driveline brake on the back of the transmission instead of a transfer case. Other than that, it's just manual Vs. automatic pros and cons.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that you can have a 4X4 F Superduty. They use a driveline brake on the back of the transmission instead of a transfer case. Other than that, it's just manual Vs. automatic pros and cons.
Conversions only, either Quigley or Marmon Harrington. Both are extremely rare and difficult to get parts for.

Homemade conversions have been done as well

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Conversions only, either Quigley or Marmon Harrington. Both are extremely rare and difficult to get parts for.

Homemade conversions have been done as well
I can see that, but then you'd lose the driveline brake. Unless someone smarter than I am figured out a way to have both.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Its possible, you would have to have a 3 piece driveline with a carrier bearing. Any extendo cab or crew cab driveline would make a good canidate, just shorten the front section and swap out the slip end with a regular u joint to bolt to the brake.

I wonder if @Jesus Freak ever put that one on his tow truck I sent him...

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see that, but then you'd lose the driveline brake. Unless someone smarter than I am figured out a way to have both.
In both conversions, there are adapters that allow you to bolt the driveline brake onto the back of the transfer case, that is how I would want to do it in a homemade conversion

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its possible, you would have to have a 3 piece driveline with a carrier bearing. Any extendo cab or crew cab driveline would make a good canidate, just shorten the front section and swap out the slip end with a regular u joint to bolt to the brake.

I wonder if @Jesus Freak ever put that one on his tow truck I sent him...
The F-Super Duty driveshaft is much larger… and uses a bolt on flange on the brake… those trucks are much different, especially in that department…

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The F-Super Duty driveshaft is much larger… and uses a bolt on flange on the brake… those trucks are much different, especially in that department…
I'm aware. The transmission that's in my old mans crew cab came out of a super duty, I took the driveline brake off and bolted the t case to it. Only difference is how the driveline attaches to the power train. Transfer case uses a slip joint, brake uses a u joint with straps. I don't see why you couldn't take the slip off of the forward shaft and use a u joint in place of it with the smaller non super duty driveline.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy has the short driveshaft as well if that makes any difference. He does mention the brake on the transmission..so if I had all the pieces and the computer I’d think it would just bolt on?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suspect the block heater myself.

Technically, those are a 4R100 when they came behind a Power Stroke. I believe that they had all of the upgraded parts that were known to fail in the E4OD.
The obs powerstroke still have the e4od, 4r100 wasn't used behind the powerstroke until the superduty was released.

The 4r100 is just a stronger case with a couple extra sensors and a different solenoid pack an plug.

While the case is stronger than the e4od, several internal parts are much weaker due to being cast instead of forged. Alot of the 4r100 upgrades are using the e4od forged internals.

James

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve gotta say thanks for all the input.

Just to be clear, I can swap the 94 f-superduty set up into my truck as long as I have the drive shaft and all of the pieces? He said he’s got everything for a full bolt in set up.

I’m thinking this would be the ultimate set up for longevity.

I’m going to call three local transmission shops and get their input and price on a rebuild of my auto. But I do like the idea of making an emp proof rig with the standard transmission. I could put in a heavy duty clutch and possibly even swap out that rear transfer case brake thing?

I’m not totally fully ignorant to what it entails just not fimiliar with the difference of the fsuperduty details..