How much is a box worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have an 87 with a 99.89% rust free bed. Has a dent in the driver side up near the rail, a dent behind the driver side tire, and the front of the box is bowed towards the cab a little. But there is little to no rust on the box and as far as I know there's no bondo in it either. How much do you think the box is worth? What about the tailgate? Thinking that a flatbed would be more handy around the farm than the box, so hoping this box might be worth a couple bucks. Thanks guys

Attachments

• pickup.JPG
    pickup.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 24
  • pickup2.JPG
    pickup2.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 25

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing the box is rust free being it is on a 4wd truck in MI. The after market or 92+ tailgate is a sign it is not original. I am sure there is rust on the back side of the fenders waiting to pop out.

But I am sure there are some uninformed people out there that would give 1500 for a clean bed, but little do they know the rust is there it just has not come out yet.

I personally would not buy that bed for anything more than 200 because I know it came from the rust belt. Clean today, rust tomorrow

but if it came from a salt free state, I would be will ing to give 1000-1500

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Body isn't original. It came from the southwest. There isn't any rust inside the fenders waiting to pop, been over it inside and out with a pick probing for rust bubbles.

And actually they use very little salt on the roads around here. We are about 100 feet from lake superior so they use lots and lots of sand, only a little salt on the bridges around.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing the box is rust free being it is on a 4wd truck in MI. The after market or 92+ tailgate is a sign it is not original. I am sure there is rust on the back side of the fenders waiting to pop out.

But I am sure there are some uninformed people out there that would give 1500 for a clean bed, but little do they know the rust is there it just has not come out yet.

I personally would not buy that bed for anything more than 200 because I know it came from the rust belt. Clean today, rust tomorrow

but if it came from a salt free state, I would be will ing to give 1000-1500

They are RARE, but out there, examples, snow birds, farm trucks that don't see winter, or simply people not using it winter.

I come across some super nice rust free Fords here to, never in winter though, unless I see it parked.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
And actually they use very little salt on the roads around here. We are about 100 feet from lake superior so they use lots and lots of sand, only a little salt on the bridges around.

I was going to say the same thing. Not much salt used in the UP unless youre in a bigger town like Marquette or Escanaba.

Ontonagon is a good sized town for the western UP, but still, lots of sand being used. Why buy salt when sand is everywhere?

Great little ice cream shop down town Ontonagon.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
And to answer your question, at a local swap meet there is a group who brings rust free southern truck beds to wisconsin, they get anywhere between $450 and $700 for a bed depending on year and condition.

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sip and Snack....? Too bad it wasn't open last summer. I miss it.

Guess I will toss it on CL and see if I get any bites at it. Just hate to beat this bed up too bad hauling stuff around the farm. Rather abuse a flatbed.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing. Not much salt used in the UP unless youre in a bigger town like Marquette or Escanaba.

Ontonagon is a good sized town for the western UP, but still, lots of sand being used. Why buy salt when sand is everywhere?

That simply isnt true.

I frequent the UP often and I can tell you they pour salt everywhere. The further north you go the worse the rust. Not to mention winter lasts a whole lot longer up there with snow(I.E. MOISTURE) being on the road a WHOLE LOT MORE. The major routes are always drenched in salt.

I would never buy a native UP truck...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
That simply isnt true.

I frequent the UP often and I can tell you they pour salt everywhere. The further north you go the worse the rust. Not to mention winter lasts a whole lot longer up there with snow(I.E. MOISTURE) being on the road a WHOLE LOT MORE. The major routes are always drenched in salt.

I would never buy a native UP truck...

EXACTLY my point

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have an 87 with a 99.89% rust free bed. Has a dent in the driver side up near the rail, a dent behind the driver side tire, and the front of the box is bowed towards the cab a little. But there is little to no rust on the box and as far as I know there's no bondo in it either. How much do you think the box is worth? What about the tailgate? Thinking that a flatbed would be more handy around the farm than the box, so hoping this box might be worth a couple bucks. Thanks guys

With the market the way it is around here, you would do well to get 400$ for the box. The last box I bought was a dually bed with VERY VERY little rust on it and I paid 400$ for it. It was on craigslist for months before I bought it...

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I gave a clean, rust free one away about a year ago. It was surprisingly hard to get rid of. I was trying to sell it for $50, just a little cash to put in my pocket. Guess no one needed an 8ft bed in my area until it was free :dunnoLOL

Status
Not open for further replies.