How much boost?

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
If you want to keep from having hypermax or type4 rebuild your turbo then you need to can that open element filter. 10 horse (never gonna happen but thats their claim) in not worth a turbo rebuild every 40-60k miles. get an airbox off a 7.3 powerjoke and trim it to fit. gets better airflow, every parts store has the filter, and it keeps the grit from sandblasting your turbo (and rings, pistons, heads, injectors, etc)

punk

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
If you want to keep from having hypermax or type4 rebuild your turbo then you need to can that open element filter. 10 horse (never gonna happen but thats their claim) in not worth a turbo rebuild every 40-60k miles. get an airbox off a 7.3 powerjoke and trim it to fit. gets better airflow, every parts store has the filter, and it keeps the grit from sandblasting your turbo (and rings, pistons, heads, injectors, etc)

punk

now what do you mean a cone type filter are you talking k&n or open airfilters in general
i have a fleetgaurd open air filter(paper element) and ive had to take my intake off several times no **** in there at all id rater have that filter than the pos stock hypermax set up makes it hard to work on your engine in a sticky situation and plus i dont like it
why would you put a powerstroke af housing in place of stock or anything else one would put on those housing are a joke in it self ive seen them cracked broken on the turbo side and the pos bolts that hold them down are plastic and break mind you one could get up graded bolts but why even bother with that is why im questioning that

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i just want a psd intake because i dont really want to use an open element air filter, and im going to be using a psd turbo anyway

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
the psd filter is a drastic inmprovement over ours. using that setup allows for ease of finding filters and replacement parts.

The afe, k&n, whatever brand oiled element are crap. If a truck comes in with one on I pull it to check the turbo. just under half the time i wind up putting a turbo on (or should be) somtimes they decline it, somtimes its not destroyed yet. I always recommend they return to stock.

the piece of **** hypermax setup is the stock setup for these trucks. its move forward a few inches but is comprised of stock components taken off the truck to install the turbo. ats uses a large box with a square filter (much like the powerstroke).

as for them cracking, yes they do crack, normally from abuse above and beyond normal use. I have one on mine, with no problems in 6 months. put a few thousand miles on the truck with a lot of city driving. inside of the air tube is clean, turbo doesnt have any buildup and Im gonna leave it on there.

punk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, while your dinging the Hypermax air intake, that while you may not like it, it's the re-use of these parts that help keep the cost of these kits down to an affordable level, so that they sell more of them, and stay in business longer. I'm still running their stock setup on one truck, and it is no worse than the stock air cleaner setup. In fact, it's better with it moved forward a little you can get the lid off easier, even if you didn't mod the bowl in the lid if it had one. I also swapped in a K&N, and unlike you I like them and have good luck with them.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
the psd filter is a drastic inmprovement over ours. using that setup allows for ease of finding filters and replacement parts.

The afe, k&n, whatever brand oiled element are crap. If a truck comes in with one on I pull it to check the turbo. just under half the time i wind up putting a turbo on (or should be) somtimes they decline it, somtimes its not destroyed yet. I always recommend they return to stock.

the piece of **** hypermax setup is the stock setup for these trucks. its move forward a few inches but is comprised of stock components taken off the truck to install the turbo. ats uses a large box with a square filter (much like the powerstroke).

as for them cracking, yes they do crack, normally from abuse above and beyond normal use. I have one on mine, with no problems in 6 months. put a few thousand miles on the truck with a lot of city driving. inside of the air tube is clean, turbo doesnt have any buildup and Im gonna leave it on there.

punk

i agree im not happy with the k@n afe what every those filters are
but i think those filters problems are from lack of maintance
im lazy i wont maintane them properly thats why i went to the fleetgaurd paper element filter its big flows a bunch of air and catches the dirt
looked in my intake tube and there aint a spot of dirt in there so i guess its all in what you prefer

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
Punk see my attached pics. Is this what you are talking about getting as a factory air box? yes I know it has a K&N but that will go bye bye as Russ just rebuilt my turbo. When I bought my intercooler the guy thew this in as well. Who am I to say no :dunno .

Attachments

• Powerstroke air box 1.jpg
    Powerstroke air box 1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Powerstroke air box 2.jpg
    Powerstroke air box 2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 12

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I know that this is a thread about Hypermax turbos, but since people are talking about the air boxes and filters, I figured that I'd add to this. I have an ATS 085 turbo that boosts 10 psi easily (holds 8 psi through shifts if I want it to. I have 4.10 gears w/ C6 and 35" tires, pump up two flats, 3" downpipe to 4" straight piped exhaust clear to the back, and I'm using a K&N air filter. I have thought about changing the air filter out, but decided to keep an eye on it and see what happens. I have no signs of anything "bypassing" the filter so far. I keep it clean and oiled according to the manufactured specifications. I believe problems might be seen if the filter is not clean and oiled like it should be.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
otto. Yep thats what you need. you can take the lower air box (the one the filter fits in) off the battery tray and then trim the lower air box to fit where/how you want. I used the hypermax elbow at the turbo and then 7.3 powerjoke air tubing from there out to the box. the box sits in the location of the radi overflow bottle that I took out. It isnt perfect and I would like to find a more user friendly way to route it, using stock parts of one form or another and then post how to do it and what I used for everyone else.

punk

sassyrel

Reaction score
i agree im not happy with the k@n afe what every those filters are
but i think those filters problems are from lack of maintance
im lazy i wont maintane them properly thats why i went to the fleetgaurd paper element filter its big flows a bunch of air and catches the dirt
looked in my intake tube and there aint a spot of dirt in there so i guess its all in what you prefer

not lack of maintence--when i bought mine--i could hold hold a newspaper on the back side---AND READ IT!!!!!!!!! just like punk said---JUNK

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a discussion that may be debated for a long time, with little or no resolution, I got my ATS 088 used off of ebay and it had a fair looking K&N element that came with it, but the turbo was pretty thrashed, it wound up needing a rebuild and new compressor wheel. For a the first year or more that I had the thing I used NAPA Gold paper elements of the type specified by ATS. They were always dirty and pretty much needed a 5000 mile replacement interval. I heard some good things on here about SB air filters and again its an oiled type and I've only had it around 4-6000 miles. I'd hate to ditch it but I really don't want to see the turbo come off and need a rebuild before its time. It definitely does flow better than the paper elements as I immediately picked up some boost, but the power gain is not worth it if the extra airflow is also extra dirtflow.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
It is my opinion, and should be taken as such, that the oiled cloth element filters are crap. I worked at vw in florida while attending class at uti and now I work for Ford here in portland. Two differnent environments and two different vehicles with the same result from said filter and extended run time. A turbo impeller spinning fast enough to compress air is gonna get a nick from ANY material that passes the filter. on the vw's running stock filters it wasnt uncommon for a turbo to last 150-200k or more, with the "k&n" 50k was hard to crack. the power jokes seem to take more ( bigger turbo or different area/climate?) and get to 70-80k before needing replaced with the k&n or the same 150k + on the stock filter. Thats all the proof I need to be personally convinced. That and k&n wont warranty a motor destroyed by junk, ford will as long as there filter is on it (and change near the correct interval).

punk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger