how many adjustment screws on ip

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
ok i know the wot adjuster on the side and the one on the turbo pumps in the back that is supposed to help boost but i was searching for info and found an article claiming that there is an adjustment allen in the center line running out of the back of the injector pump you have to remove the nut and it is inside the threaded part. is this true? maybe someone has a loose ip laying around and can look because i would hate to try to wrestle in there and see and i dont like turning screws and not knowing what they do.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the screw you are talking about effects the min/max govenor setting. I have fooled with it, and I can tell you that it's a great way to go insane. Especially if you mix it with the adjustment nut on the inside of the pump. There is nothing to be gained by touching it, except a lot of grief.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
you are talkin about the one that is on the back of all pumps and is offset towards the top as the governer right. if so this one is supposedly inside the center line on the back of the injector pump you have your 8 injector lines runnin in a circle and one big line that is in the center of that circle supposedly if you pull that center line then there is an alan screw inside the tubing on the pump side seems rediculous but idk.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one you are talking about adjusts transfer pressure. It's not a good idea to mess with it. It will throw your timing off and make lots of smoke but no more power.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
thank you because that was the only claim to that screw. Actually the article was titled "make a 7.3 smoke black". i'm not worried about smoke if its there its there but smoke with no added power is a waste.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
it is the screw on the back of the injector pump that is offset towards the top but i personally wouldn mess with it and if you do keep count of turns and directions of turns because a few have reported messing with it and all that i know of have put it back where it was because of the engine behaving badly.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
it dont sound like it works to much then, i just wanted a couple more rpm but im going to leave it alone.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a allen wrench adjustment inside the brass fitting for the fuel supply line. I think that it raises pump output pressure but not positive.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it dont sound like it works to much then, i just wanted a couple more rpm but im going to leave it alone.

What is your maximum engine speed now? If you swap the high-revv spring in the governor in the IP you can achieve higher engine speed, I believe a spring from a 6.2 diesel (Chevy) is good for up to 4000 rpms, and a spring from a 5.7 diesel (Olds) is good for 4500 rpms.