How fast can an IDI Owner run the 100 Yard Dash,......?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad no one was hurt.
About 10 years ago I was hauling firewood in my dads 2wd powerstroke and got stuck. I went and got my trusty 72 chevy 4x4 which is a fourspeed with no e-brake. I parked it so that one wheel was in a hole and left it running to hook up the chains and while I was hooking up the chevy started rolling.
I thought I could maybe stop it by putting my feet on the ferd and my hands on the hood of the chebby, but it was too much steel with too much momentum.
I jumped up as high as I could at the last minute and got my hips pinned between the hood of the chevy and the tailgate of the ford.
I had to yell for my wife to back the chevy off of me:oops:
The ford tailgate gave way which saved my pelvis. I still couldn't walk for two days.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey now, I've done that, had a truck with the rear up in the air to grease the driveshaft U-joints, totally forgot to put the thing in gear and set the parking brake cookoo - the moment the wheels touched the ground she starter rolling, believe I left half the soles of my boots on the gravel while holding onto that tailgate, did stop the darn thing tho :eek:

I can see it now:rotflmao

Its funny but its not. I guess there were a lot of close calls in this thread.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the damage, and glad the kids werent in it.

I will say it does give me some confidence in my paranoia...our driveway is on a slight angle, and it drives my wife nuts, but I keep a tire small block sitting near the truck. Anytime its sitting there and not in gear its blocked...I have ran it over more times than I can count (just cuz I am too lazy to go pull it if the truck is resting on it), but if it were to roll it would either meet the neighbors new f150, or go through their living room window...and neither of those sound cheap