How does the 7.3idi sound with open exhaust?

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks are a big block V8, the exhaust doesn't care if diesel or gas runs through it.
The turbo acts as a muffler and gives the 'whine', the rest depends on pipe size, location, etc. If NA it will sound like an unmuffled big block with straight pipes. They are not going to sound the same as an inline engine like a cummins or big rig, the engine configuration is different. Mine has a very small muffler, exiting in front of the rear wheel. I don't even hear exhaust over the engine noise.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed the turbocharger I ran a strait pipe on mine for a while, but found it tiring on longer trips. I liked the sound and feel of the truck with a strait pipe, but I built up my truck to make a weekly 200 mile trip at 70 MPH most of the way. Didn't matter how much I liked the sound, my head started hurting from the constant drone. Not really loud, but it was just at the right requency or something. So I had to put a muffler in.

The turbo spool could be heard up to 1500 RPM, but above that it sounds like any other strait piped V8 of that size. Engine breaking above 2000 RPM makes for a loud crackle. Works like clockwork.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dump mine out right befoe the passenger tire. Takes offs and wot can be pretty loud. When under load you know Im coming way before ya see me. I do get a little tired of the noise on the highway, but if I keep it at 65 its no louder then with the muffler. Just cruising at a steddy rpm I really dont here the exhaust at all.

I had a powerstroke pull out infront of me with a 25ft trailer and a bobcat, I was about 10 cars behind him doing 55. I jumped to the next lane, dropped from 5th to 3rd(with about 7000lbs on my trailer) and hauled passed him. When I looked in my mirror he and the guys in the truck had their hands over their hears. Serves um right pulling out infront of a loaded truck doing 55 and then deciding to go slow. My non turbo idi takes off faster loaded then what his powerstroke did.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i put a "cherry bomb" (glass pack) inplace of the factory muffler and it sounds great:thumbsup: not too loud dosen't drone but when i lay into it i can set off some car alarms:D:love:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put a "cherry bomb" (glass pack) inplace of the factory muffler and it sounds great:thumbsup: not too loud dosen't drone but when i lay into it i can set off some car alarms:D:love:

Now that you mention it, there is a guy across the street that has a fox body mustang with a 5.0 and some other stuff in it. Some one else in town must have drove by once and realized just how much fun it is to set that car off. Never seen the driver, but sounded like a harley. He did that all summer and I laughed my butt off every time.:rotflmao

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Speaking of noise....... not that those videos did it justice, but I guess my truck is pretty loud. I don't mind it really, I usually have windows down and/or music on...... Just like ya'll mentioned you'll know i'm coming wayyyy before I get there and if I'm loaded down a hill..... sounds like I have an exhaust brake...... I love it!! But if you're not looking for too loud a muffler or the glasspacks will keep it quieter.....

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you mention car alarms, I have set a few when barreling through neighborhoods. Its usually the expensive cars that go off first, but its easiest when surrounded by a few buildings in the middle of town.

Just have to scram before the copers showup!

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah that was a nice looking ass.. i mean truck sam..

You didn't just say that... :eek::dunno:rotflmao

She might wanna :backoff you....Any gal that drives a truck like that might be a little cookoo and kick your ass!

Sorry Sam.....had to .......

By the way..I'm Mike...nice to meet cha....

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
You didn't just say that... :eek::dunno:rotflmao

She might wanna :backoff you....Any gal that drives a truck like that might be a little cookoo and kick your ass!

Sorry Sam.....had to .......

By the way..I'm Mike...nice to meet cha....

Shoooot....... Ya'll think I'm cookoo you have noooo idea! lol..... just kiddin' :angel: So this thread just went to hell in a handbasket... :thumbsup:

Anyways, the justin moore song, "I could kick yer ass" comes to mind.....:rotflmao

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only said that 'cause I'm drinking. LOL

I started the thread...and I officially say, "let it go to Hell"...

Lets drink!

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know her...wish I did!

How is Branson MO tonight? I have a little place at Lake of the Ozarks...missing it horribly right now.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Well I got some up of it N/A straight piped & adding a few as we speak of it turboed with a straight pipe as well. In all truth I don't know if it's the turbo or what but going just about any speed 55mph+ crusing I can't even hear the engine even with a 5" stack right behind the cab. It's very quiet, see no reason to add a muffler...not that I would anyways. :D

Look here for vids~ http://www.youtube.com/4grandrock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist