How does the 7.3idi sound with open exhaust?

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title asks, how do these sound wide open? I always thought sidepipes would be interesting...:D Do they sound like a diesel, or a big block v8?

Any video files posted ?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine that sound can be described a mix between the big-block and the diesel sound, but it really depends on the exhaust you have - stock 2.5"makes it sound much like a big-block, the 3" stack I run now makes it more of a diesely sound, especially at low rpms. Either way tis loud as hell when you get on it :D

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed there is something bouncing around inside my muffler....it is still very quiet and working but the rattle is driving me bonkers. Time to pull it off and make a little noise... ;Sweet

I haven't read up on the exhaust mods to the idi-s at all....keep the stock pipes and pull the muffler? ( stock stuff appears to be in good condition ) Replace the muffler with something less restrictive? Yank everything and go dual all the way back?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be freaking loud without any mufflers at all if you are naturally aspirated. If its a turbo it will be a great sound.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the thing...I have heard a few older and newer diesels with open exhaust, and when wound up the sound like a VERY lound bb gasser. Kinda sad! LOL

sassyrel

Reaction score
6.9--duals---bullet glasspacks---damn loud when you wail on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zpd307

Reaction score
yeah its loud. when i got mine, the muffler was rotted out. when you got on it, you knew it. lots of cackle. if i was 16 again, i probably would have been driving around with a chubby the whoe time. now that i am older, not so much. unloaded, you had to really get on it. towing something and it cackled all the time. i would rather be able to talk to the others in the truck instead. the exhaust was replaced at one time and is 3", so i just went to napa and welded in new one. it is still pretty throaty and sounds good, now.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Diesel at idle & big block or straight piped 350 chevy under throttle. Trust me if you don't enjoy loud exhausts don't do it. With my 3.5" side pipe it's a wonder I didn't pizz more people off....LOL
I ran dual 5" stacks & finally a 5" single & it sounded alot better. I'll post up some videos later.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I dunno if this will help you or not, as my sig reads I have 5" stacks.... the downpipe was swapped out for a 2.5" one then 4" back to the stacks.... heres some videos though.... http://www.youtube.com/user/AsphaltCowgirl9

TruckinGirl....thank you so much! I can't get the grin off my face...not sure if is the truck, the noise...

or the driver :)

Did I say that?

:thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online