How do you get rear slip driveshaft pieces at carrier bearing apart?(supercab 4x4)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you get it off? I'm struggling with one right now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got mine apart. Tied one end to a tree and me and Graham pulled hard. Never did get the cap off. Now I cant figure out how to get the bearing off. There seems to be a big washer pressed on or something.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I cant figure out how to get the bearing off. There seems to be a big washer pressed on or something.

With a careful hand and sharp eye, one of those abrasive cut-off wheels in a side-grinder or die-grinder works really good to just slice the thing in two.

A torch is quicker, but more scary. :eek:

Put the new bearing in a not-so-hot oven and lay the shaft in the deep-freeze.

After all night in the freezer, the bearing will almost slide on itself.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so the center bearing was covered by some other kind of mushroom shaped washer that was also pressed on. Heated that with a torch and knocked it off. Then the center bearing was pretty well petrified on there, so that was disassembled with a whizzer wheel, and the inner sleeve cut off. The new one was then tapped on with a punch and a hammer. This thing fought me every inch of the way, but it's all fixed now! ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the old style carrier-bearing that is greasable is available to fit our trucks ??

The guy up the road that has a bunch of tri-axle milk trucks uses a hypodermic shot-needle in COW size to force new grease into sealed carrier-bearings; if he can't get it in there any other way, he will drill a tiny hole, squirt in the grease, and cap the hole with a blob of stick-epoxy. ;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online