How do you get old rusty exhaust pipes loose?

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Especially when they are on a rear mtd turbo (banks) that you can't even get a saw in to cut them. :confused: I haven't actually attempted to remove anything yet out of total fear of failure. If I would be lucky enough to get the down pipe off the turbo I MIGHT be able to pull it loose from the joint half way down the firewall. The little "tabs" on the larger pipe are pryed up so it obviously has been removed before. Is there some magic rust eater solvent I can squirt on there? I only have silicone spray which helps once things are loose. But I think I will need some hardcore stuff due to the lack of leverage I will have over a 3" exhaust.

Assuming I can get the down pipe out of the way then I must be able to unbolt the turbo from the engine mounting bracket? And if I am lucky enough to get that far maybe I can slip the y-pipe assy down underneath? Then maybe I could actually unbolt the tranny and slip it out of the way to proceed in pulling the motor.

I am just forming a good plan of attack because I have plenty of time and about zero motivation at the moment. Once I see parts of turbo out of the way I will feel better about all the work ahead of me. :cry:

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
get yourself a can of PB (penetrating blaster). spray any and every connection you intend to touch... wait a day or so... see the magic.

i've always been very impressed with the stuff, myself.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Where might I find such a mysterious can of joy? I don't think I have seen it on the shelf anywhere. I will start my search tomorrow. Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may sound extreme, but I went through the same on my F350. I unbolted the body, the steering shaft and the brake MC and lifted the body. I also set 4x4 wood blocks between the body and frame pad. got lots of room immeadiately. sounds intimidating but not really that tough at all.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PB Blaster is great. I'll be bringing some to the IDI Weekend to sell cheap. I bought a case, and don't need it all. $3.00 a can for the really tall can.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
PB blaster is wonderful stuff.Ranks right up there with duct tape and Bailing wire!To find it,look for a retro 50-60 style looking can.Bright brigh yeller.They had some fun with the artwork on the can.But this stuff blows WD40 outta the water.Hey,Mel,Where did you get a case at?I am always needing the stuff(lets see,WL is a southern rig so rust ain't a problem.....but I got a yankee special with the Enterprise,Got a 1971 Deuce that spent its life up in Jersey so......) and I am low right now.....do they well it in 55 gallon drums?!?!?!

Oh yea,I have seen it at the local Ricerzone and Advanced Ricer parts.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Mel keep a can for me. All I can get here are gallon jugs with the squart bottle. :mad:

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Well I searched a few auto parts stores to no avail...then found a can of PB up at the grocery store...go figure. ;Sweet I am going to squirt a dose on each night till saturday when I tackle the pipes.

Any other words of advise for seperating an exhaust joint that slips together? I am still assuming the worse since I have almost no leverage in there. I was thinking of warming up the larger outer pipe with a torch? Almost no way to get tools in there since the joint is tucked up between the bellhousing and firewall. :frustrate

Last edited:

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
To find it,look for a retro 50-60 style looking can.Bright brigh yeller.They had some fun with the artwork on the can.

I like it too.

Attachments

• PBCatalyst.png
    PBCatalyst.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 11

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
hheynow said:
I like it too.

isn't that a copyrighted line from the old Irish Spring soap ads ;p

Blaster is a necessity in all tool boxes........it's also THE secret to stubborn{carboned up} glow plugs ;Sweet
The capillary action is unbelieveable :D

All IDI's should come with a can in the truck :hail

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great stuff! Love that cartoon label. Looks like it's right off the cover of the National Equirer. I have a friend at work that gets special pricing from the local Pep Boys, and they were having a sale, and he got a super good deal. I've already sold off half the case, but I'll have it, and some other Stoner products at special prices at the IDI Weekend.