How do I run 44's?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I asked this to find out what I had to do. Now I know that I need some different gearing. Probably about 4.56. I will go with an 8" lift with Rockwell 2.5T top loaders. I do not need to trim the bumper as I have a custom bumper on it that is more like a HMMWV. I will probably go with a 20" rim as well. The DT-360 swap should not be an issue either before or after. I will try to get it done before however so I dont have to do the axles twice. It seems like an all in one shot is the best way to go. I will go with 4 wheel disc brakes and hydroboost off of a F-450. The steering will be addressed after I found out what the Rockwells come with. Could move to rack and pinion or just extend the pitman arm and such.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I did the calculations and running a NP205 Max-Low T-Case it is well more than enough. At 70 mph I will be spinning about 2K RPM. Which is near perfect.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest you re-read some of the above responses. Then sit down and read more on large tires and gearing. 44s and 4.56s might calculate out right but there is a bunch of rolling resistance that comes along with them too. Not to mention, can you get started from a red light without smoking the clutch? How about starting on a slight hill? Yes, the 3:1 will help off road but you still have to enough gear to turn the wheels in a bind.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the calculations and running a NP205 Max-Low T-Case it is well more than enough. At 70 mph I will be spinning about 2K RPM. Which is near perfect.

Well I feel you are extremely miss informed.

Gearing should be calculated for the street in HI gear 4th for four speed, and 4th for 5speeds, you want DIRECT 1 to ! gearing in you transmission and HI range in the transfer case.

Looking at this chart, according to what it indicates, your thoughts on 4:56 put you well below acceptable range of engine load.

You must be registered for see images

Notice there is a mileage portion then a near stock performance section then a hi performance section....well your gearing selection is BELOW the mileage section

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your gonna run rockwells your pretty much stuck with 6.72 gear ratios. Unless you spend $2200.00 on overson 4.88gear sets.
If you stick to dana 60 front and sterling rear axles, i would recommend 5.13 gears, or a minimum of 4.88 which is what i run.
If i had a choice i would go 5.13.

Be ready to spend some. $$ on your front axle. At a minimum you need yukon or dynatrac locking hubs. My 42's ate warn hubs for lunch.
35spline axles recommended, RCV axles also recommended. I changed to rcv after busting 2 lesser cmly 35spline axles.

For lift you can do a Sky mft. Shackle reversal for the front and a shackle flip for the rear. And maybe some 4 or 6 inch lift springs. Cut the fenders.
You should have enough lift then.

Btw, do 1410 front driveshaft right away. Any thing else I used bound up and broke.
1410 ujoints have enough angle to work wit that lift.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot about the steering. If you do rockwells, your probably better off with full hydro for packaging sake. Its not DOT approved though.
On dana's you NEED at least a hydro assist on the steering box . This takes care of deathwobbles and makes the truck driveable with 44's.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
After looking into it I will just do a D60 and the 5.13's. Go full hydroboost and what ever other fortifications I need. I have settled on a 6" suspension and 2" body lift. I have already did all the trimming so I should be cleared. I will do the recommended shackle reverse and shackle flip. One question though. Would it be best to move up to medium duty springs as they are much wider and thus more stable? Thank you for all the info.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My springs are 3 inches wide front and back. I haven't driven a truck with 2 1/2 inch springs, so i couldn't tell you much.
I do run my truck with no sway bars, and i've had no problems with handling, but then again, i don't do much street racing in my truck.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
No street racing here either, that would be like racing buffalo. I am more concerned about stability off-road.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5 inch springs would probably flex better, but i don't have issues with my suspension at the moment.
I can run fire roads pretty fast without it beating up the truck or myself. And mynload capacity is pretty decent.

I'd run 3 inch springs again.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Have you looked into a RSK? This and the newer superduty springs will net you some nice lift. The RSK will net you about 2" of lift so the rsk and 6" superduty springs gives you 8" of total lift. You will get a better ride as well because the superduty springs are about an inch and a half longer than ours. I have stock superduty leaves waiting for a RSK on my rig.