Hood Scoops

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Hello Guys and Gals! Lead here by Mel last week from TDS. Nice looking place and I like the idea of a "general discussion" forum too.

Has anyone built and tried to get more air to their IDI using a hood scoop? In particular a cowl induction type scoop. Is it worth the effort or should I look at building a ram air induction type system?

pafixitman

Reaction score
hood scope

Lack of response does not mean we do not like you, it is that no one has an answer. I know after market cowl induction hoods are available, but is there a benefit? Who knows! Most just go w/ a home made ram air set up.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
It seems like I have heard the guys talking it over before and as much as diesels dislike water, and the inability to create a water/air seperator efficiantly into the whole scoop design... that most opted for the underhood open air element.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Joe, I know no response usually means no one has an answer. Just trying to get a rise from someone.

Dieselmaster, the water issue has concerned me to. Most responses I've received on this issue had leaned toward the under hood ram air.

Just fishing to see if someone else has came up with a good above hood solution.

Don

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Don,

I never followed this thread through because I really wasn't interested in them but it sounds like you and Bean may be following the same path... You may want to see what he came up with and discuss some ideas with him... I think he was the NBS and your OBS but he may have some ideas non the less...

Click Here

Dave

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don, welcome and glad you signed up! Answers come a little slower here some days. There's just not as many people looking here yet.

Bean

Reaction score
I am gonna try and do a fiberglass hood here someday, not sure when but someday.

More then likely it will have some small ram air type inlets in the front and then some small cowls in the back and to each side. The driver side cowl will be outfitted with gauge pods for 2 5/8th gauges.

I may make the ram air an accual working one with baffles and drain holes to direct water away from filter inlets.

Give me about a year and I might have somethin done lol.:rolleyes:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Hypermax turbo website and take a look at their "cow induction" kit. Only concern is the noise factor. Having run IDI's for years without ductwork, I am quite deaf from the intake noise. otherwise, drawing off the windshield base is a good idea due to the pressure zone that is there.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL If you've got the bandwidth, click that snorkle link and watch the snorkle video. What a couple of idiots! :idiot: To their credit though, it does keep on running! :D

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Wow guys, Good input!

Bean, read your thread in the 7.3 IH forum. Good discussion there.

The base of the windshield is supposed to be a high pressure area and would tend to help force air into the hood if the cowl opening is there.
Would you leave the area under the cowl open and just have freash air available to the turbo filter or possibly build a ram air duct to a flange mounted (unattached to the hood) at the cowl inlet?

The main problem to me appears to be thw moisture removal. What can we do here?

Don

hardknocks

Reaction score
Originally posted by Carl_F350
I'm thinking about installing a Safari Snorkel.

Safari Snorkel Clicky

I've seen guys use Model #ss395hf

Fresh cold air in and water problem solved.:cool

that snorkel looks pretty wild , makes me wanna get one and try out the creek out back lol .