Hood Scoops

Bean

Reaction score
Originally posted by tuckerd1
Wow guys, Good input!

Bean, read your thread in the 7.3 IH forum. Good discussion there.

The base of the windshield is supposed to be a high pressure area and would tend to help force air into the hood if the cowl opening is there.
Would you leave the area under the cowl open and just have freash air available to the turbo filter or possibly build a ram air duct to a flange mounted (unattached to the hood) at the cowl inlet?

The main problem to me appears to be thw moisture removal. What can we do here?

Don

What I hav in mind is a ram air type to start with.

Kinda what I have in mind is two ram airs, one on each side of center, on the under side the driver side one will be a dummy and the pass side one will be molded channel over to the filter area. Alsong teh way there will be baffles and drain hols to catch and water, I bring it from the pass side to make it travel farther catchin all the water before it can make it to the filter. It wont accually be a ram air but more of just a cool air duct.

What ya think about that?

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Bean,

You're idea may just do it.

I'd thought about the cowl opening being about 3x18 or there abouts. Then an induction flange just under that size set away from cowl at the firewall to allow rainwater to drain while sitting still. Then the flange would taper to a 3-4" Φ duct to the filter. Baffles somewhere in the flange may be just what we need to catch water while moving. The tapered flange could be solid on the sides and open or closed top.

Just brainstorming here. I may be full of it, but hey gotta start somewhere.
Don

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Since you ought to turbo that truck anyway ;Sweet what I was thinking of is a cowl hood that just lets air flow through the engine compartment to keep the under hood air cooler and then run my open element. No ram-air needed then.

Last edited:

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
troutwest66 said:
Since you ought to turbo that truck anyway ;Sweet what I was thinking of is a cowl hood that just letsair flow through the engine compartment to keep the under hood air cooler and then run my open element. No ram-air needed then.

Hypermax Turbo/IC is on the list for sometime in the next month or so.

DIESEL_COP

JASON HALOUSKA
Reaction score
If you have ever seen a ATS/Ford turbo setup you could base yur setup on that, basically as the air is brought in through the snorkel it enters a cavity where the air filter is located. The air filter is higher and thus the air is forced up to enter the filter and condensation and water flows to the bottom of the cavity and through a hole onto the valley pan. you could set up a system similar say with a scrap air filter housing for a ford gas burner or diesel (if conical) and since the water would go to the bottom of the housing it would alleviate your filter from getting soggy (if a drain was drilled in the bottom so it wouldn't fill up). Take into consideration rain water is not going to be able to really make the 180 degree turn in such a small area (from windshield to into cowl) sitting not running maybe and some iI suppose will or could but unless you are in monsoon season somewhere I would have to bet it would be negligble. Just my 0.02