Hood release

briankk

Reaction score
Diesel compression gauge finally got here, so I can find out if my '87 F250 6.9 engine is only mildly ruined, or totally ruined. Tried to open the hood, release cable snapped somewhere.

Is there a way to open the hood on these things when the cable busts?
Help..

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Pull the grill out to get to the latch. Might be able to get a screwdriver in there to actuate it. believe it or not, I've had this happen before, but can't for the life of me recall how I got the hood open.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I busted the cable on mine years ago........
I cut the cable at the firewall and pulled the inner cable with a pair of pliers.
Once I had the hood open, I cut the cable under the hood and stuck it through the grill guard intending to replace it that summer......
Did I mention it's been like that a few years now? LOL

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel compression gauge finally got here, so I can find out if my '87 F250 6.9 engine is only mildly ruined, or totally ruined.
What problem are you trying to solve? I hate to say it, but low compression isn't usually the cause of most problems on an IDI, except for massive oil usage.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the grill and you can actually remove the latch, I believe it’s 4 11mm bolts and it will come up with the hood.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a picture of what you have. Note that I cut the brace out that runs to the bottom of the radiator support because of the IC. The latch actually bolts to it I think and it bolts to the core support.

You must be registered for see images attach

briankk

Reaction score
What problem are you trying to solve? I hate to say it, but low compression isn't usually the cause of most problems on an IDI, except for massive oil usage.

Got this truck in straight swap for an old Jeep I had. Was not a runner as bought, PO said he'd got it running some time in the past...
Removed seized Mitsu starter, replaced with new DC unit, new batteries. Engine now cranks, with loud squeak at 1 rpm rate.
Various POs had fiddled with the electric bits , mostly done wrong. Cleaned up the wiring, still no go. To get to the bottom of it, pulled all the glow plug wiring and the aircleaner, hosed it down w/either while cranking, didn't even burp. I reckon that a diesel that won't show signs of life when cranked and eithered, is one sick puppy, but I loved to be proven wrong.

This truck more a project than a tool..

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What rpm do you have when cranking? Crappy cables can really hold the engine back from starting

briankk

Reaction score
Pull the grill and you can actually remove the latch, I believe it’s 4 11mm bolts and it will come up with the hood.

Yep. Pulling the grill no issue, held in with zip ties. Cut grill loose, looked at problem, cable not broken, cable case slipped out of latch assy. Opened hood w/vice grips. In keeping with the theme, zip tied the cable to the latch, all good now

Thanks ya' all for the help, fastest repair ever done on that vehicle.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine broke at the handle in the cab. I've had a piece of bailing twin tied onto the mechanism and can grab it to open the hood lol.

This poor truck.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine broke at the handle in the cab. I've had a piece of bailing twin tied onto the mechanism and can grab it to open the hood lol.

This poor truck.

I've been lucky with mine. My old Cheby on the other hand, after the 2nd time the handle broke off I just started using vise grips lol

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got this truck in straight swap for an old Jeep I had. Was not a runner as bought, PO said he'd got it running some time in the past...
Removed seized Mitsu starter, replaced with new DC unit, new batteries. Engine now cranks, with loud squeak at 1 rpm rate.
Various POs had fiddled with the electric bits , mostly done wrong. Cleaned up the wiring, still no go. To get to the bottom of it, pulled all the glow plug wiring and the aircleaner, hosed it down w/either while cranking, didn't even burp. I reckon that a diesel that won't show signs of life when cranked and eithered, is one sick puppy, but I loved to be proven wrong.

This truck more a project than a tool..
Make sure it's cranking quickly. Also, I've had a couple of IDIs not pop on ether if there was no fuel to the injectors. (An '83 was even worse - I'm not convinced ether did *anything* for that motor in trying to get it to start. A good glow plug setup, however, and it runs pretty well.)
Check fuel first, get it to the point of white smoke coming out the exhaust when cranking(unburned fuel), then add ether.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online