Holy stopping power Batman!!! Hydroboost installed!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tbrumm, yes it was exactly during towing (or loaded heavy) when the 1-1/8" master seemed a bit too "soft". Which is weird cause it's not like a '70s Lincoln (hydroboosted from the factory) soft and easy, just didn't seem to modulate pressure well. Had absolutely no problem providing the needed line pressure, just not quite as "touchy" as I'd have preferred it. The 1-5/16" monster on the other hand is extremely responsive, but a bit too firm to push on the pedal. Haven't tried towing with it yet tho, guess the best way to figure out what it does is to hook up to the big trailer and do a few emergency stops...

cpdenton, now you got me curious if for some reason ours isn't just a fitting but an actual valve as well, and thus dropping the line pressure a bit too much for the rears. Shouldn't be, but who knows, I'll dial the pressure up a bit with the adjustable valve and see if things improve. AFAIK the difference between the hydroboost fitting and the standard valve is internal, unless you try taking your factory valve apart it will look just like the hydroboost fitting. I think we have another hydroboost master laying around here somewhere, if I ever find it I'll be sure to compare it to the valve from a vacuum truck. As for the manual valve, it's the standard $35 (or thereabouts) Wilwood-style valve you can buy at Summit - except ours has Ford Racing decals on it. Rated at 3000psi, have used it on other hydroboost systems before, never had a problem.

treeclimberman, you're misunderstanding - the 1-5/16" master is anything but spongy, it was the 1-1/8" master that was a bit meh, and I guess I shouldn't say "spongy" but more like just harder to modulate. No air in either of them, come one man, give us some credit here, this ain't our first rodeo :D RABS is not getting bypassed here, ever, that thing is godsend on our winter vacations if the roads are slick and the truck isn't loaded heavy - at over 2000 lbs of weight on each front wheel plus additional weight transfer during hard braking the steer axle has no problem finding traction, but the rears get only like 1000 lbs each to begin with and that drops to even less cause of aforementioned weight transfer - she gets a bit too squirrelly a bit too easy there and the RABS is great for keeping that in check.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Both of the fittings I have, one was on the truck when I bought it, and one was on the hydroboost MC when I bought it, appear to be the same. You can look right through both of them. No valving or anything. Now, are they right? I'm have no way of knowing. Could have been wrong from when I bought the truck.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lastly can anyone give me a picture or part # for the hoses. There are so many different ones and I only want to order once

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lastly can anyone give me a picture or part # for the hoses. There are so many different ones and I only want to order once

I can provide the part numbers for the hoses that I purchased for my truck, and I can tell you that they were correct for my 1994. BUT, I seem to recall back when I was researching this that Ford changed the fitting on the side of the PS pump, and I cannot remember when the change occurred (of if it was actually that fitting that changed.) LCAM probably knows and maybe he can refresh my memory. I don't know if Ford changed to metric fitting or what the deal was, but there was a definite cut off date. Anyway, I ordered the hoses from ROCKAUTO and saved the tags with the part numbers on them in case I ever have to replace them. I don't remember which hose is which, but the two hoses that worked on my truck were Partsmaster Part No's. 71442 and 71416. The return line hose from the HB unit to the pump is just generic power steering hose - don't remember the size - and came in a section 4 or 5 feet long. I just ordered the "return hose" at the same time as the pressure hoses and it was the right size. You will see the return hose listed with the others.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cutoff was August of 1992
Odd, as I've had to deal with some late OBS junk and them hoses looked exactly the same as those found in late bricknose trucks. '89 is when the fitting on the side of the pump changed, if there was another change in '92 that is something I never noticed.

Cpdenton, now I'm really curious as to *** is going on with those valves. I'll get back to you on that tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mydixiewrecked

Staff online