Holy stopping power Batman!!! Hydroboost installed!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally installed the hydroboost today and all I can say is WOW! Wish I had done this 3 years ago when I had bought the truck. I didn't realize how bad that vacuum booster really was. I have great pedal feel and the brakes are "right there" when you push on the pedal. I can lock 'em now - well the rears only lock for a second until the RABS kicks in. Anyway. I have to say this far and away the best mod I have done to the truck. Anybody who has been thinking about converting to hydroboost - DO IT! It is not that hard to install and the results are well worth it! I took some pics while I was doing the install and I will see if I can get those loaded up tomorrow. I appreciate the helpful advice and knowledge that everyone has offered here! Thanks!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
awesome to hear!!! want to do this to my truck, but get deterred by the price tag every time i think about it LOL....same goes for rear disk conversion.....:angel:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric - Thanks for posting those pedal pictures way back when. It was your post that tipped me off to the pedal pin location differences in the OBS. With the F-Superduty pedal installed, the hydroboost rod lines up exactly loke it is supposed to.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric - Thanks for posting those pedal pictures way back when. It was your post that tipped me off to the pedal pin location differences in the OBS. With the F-Superduty pedal installed, the hydroboost rod lines up exactly loke it is supposed to.

rub it in lol.-cuss

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nah im just messing with ya.i see someone found me one by the looks of it in the marketplace.hell yeah.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hydroboost is like this.. You don't know what your missing till you try it. then the magical lite comes on or your head pops out of the back side. Its simpley amazing how much better it works. I have driven a chevy C30 1 ton camper special for about28 years with hydroboost. Then driving my F350 I really didn't see that much differance. Till I made the switch on the F350. It was the same time I built my engine so lots of things were differant after the build. But the brakes out shined everything I did. Those on the fence about this just get over it. I all the years and posts here about hydroboost. Not one has been... "I wish I had never done the hydroboost modification"... That tells me all I need to know. Kind of the same with members buying from Mel or Russ. Its a welcoming to a new world..

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep, single best install I've done on my truck, and everything brake wise and all was new, vacuum assisted, so I wasn't running worn out parts, I made all new lines, put new hoses, wheel cylinders, calipers and such on, and while the brakes weren't horrible, they weren't great. I just assumed it was because stopping a 7400 lb empty truck. Then Calvin set me up, I put a new F450 Master cylinder on mine and WOW! My only fear now is my brake controller might not react fast enough! lol Awesome upgrade.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great being able to lock up your brakes with only your big toe. Go ahead... try it. LOL

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need to get around to doing this. I'm a little concerned that the higher pressure will find weak points in the system. Also, beer keeps holding me up.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need to get around to doing this. I'm a little concerned that the higher pressure will find weak points in the system. Also, beer keeps holding me up.

Beer and having to find hydroboost pedals for other people LOL! Thanks again for finding the pedal for me so I could do this install!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its ture about the pressure increase in the lines. The stock vacuum assist brakes creates around 1000 lbs of pressure in the lines. The hydroboost brake system creates around 2100 or 2200 lbs in the lines. So yeah.. your more than doubleing the line pressure AVAILABLE. Your not always using that much. But the potiential is there to use that much in a panic stop. Its a great idea to replace the three flexiable lines. Two in front and one in back when this upgrade is done. Remember your going to bleed the brakes anyway.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. Remember your going to bleed the brakes anyway.

I didn't have to bleed my brakes as I reused by original master cylinder (1-1/8") and I am happy with the results. The pedal feel is great and the effort is not out of the ordinary. Of course, I had to open up the outsides of the holes so the master could slide over the hydroboost bolts. A die grinder with a carbide burr made quick work of that job. Had to cover things up as those little aluminum shards go everywhere.

Attachments

• P1010075.JPG
    P1010075.JPG
    790 KB · Views: 359

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mydixiewrecked

Members online