typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why it’s so important to have preturbo exhaust leaks taken care of, regardless the wastegate has a 12# spring

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

I got all the exhaust couplers on the y pipe and the crossover tube sealed, the up pipe joint was not leaking and I reclocked the turbo so the hat sits tighter on the manifold. The egts did improve a little but and dropped to 1000 to 1050 degrees and but the boost betweenat 2300 rpm still doesn't get above 7psi. If I drop a gear and get to 2800rpm itll climb to 9psi. I'm wondering if there is other things I can look at to get the egts down?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unplug the wastegate tube and stuff a bolt or similar inside the tube to seal it up from the boost. Then see what your numbers are. This should get you 10-12 if your exhaust is indeed sealed well and you are maxed out on the IP.

As said, check timing too. Too retarded really tends to add heat.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about your truck, but with mine, it’s not hard to pin the egts high at 2k rpm. I’m definitely not a factory turbo but 2500-2800 seems a reasonable spin to build more boost and cool it down.

:dunno

Black dawg

Reaction score
Update:

I got all the exhaust couplers on the y pipe and the crossover tube sealed, the up pipe joint was not leaking and I reclocked the turbo so the hat sits tighter on the manifold. The egts did improve a little but and dropped to 1000 to 1050 degrees and but the boost betweenat 2300 rpm still doesn't get above 7psi. If I drop a gear and get to 2800rpm itll climb to 9psi. I'm wondering if there is other things I can look at to get the egts down?

how much smoke do you get if you jump on the throttle at under 1500 rpm? Wonder if the pump has been turned up

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp bad news everybody. I was just creating a pass when the turbo caught fire. Damage is less than it could have been but it's still disabled for now. Thanks for the help but itll be a while before I can work on it again
You must be registered for see images attach

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy schmoly batman that sucks! How...does a turbo catch fire? That really stinks, glad it wasn't worse but dang.

You didnt mention the under hood filter, that doesn't help EGTs either. (I have one too!)

Fun fact: The OE setup is actually really good for cool air intake and flow, Justin at R&D did back to back dyno runs with OE intake vs no intake at all(so no restriction, plus open hood) and the results were statistically insignificant. Only about 3hp difference and even then it favored the intake setup.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured either a fuel return started leaking under the turbo or the oil feed/drain started leaking onto the hot turbo and the rest is history. With the intake, the kit I bought did not include the intake system so I had to make do

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. If you want to look a a positive though, now would be the perfect time for a turbo upgrade! Either buy a drop in from Wes or Justin. No more low boost issues!:Thumbs Up

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks man. For what it’s worth that little air filter wasn’t helping you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86