hey everyone been a wile and a few trucks since ive been here have a few questions

1992F-250IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i recently got a 1993 idi turbo 2wd 5 speed im not new to the idi ive had 6 of them but new to the turbo i have an oil leak it apears tobe comeing from somewhere behind the turbo anyone have any ideas and my glowplugs so my wait to start light only comes on sometimes when it does its only on for 1 or 2 seconds then goes out and begins clicking and when it doesnt come on it starts clicking in 1 to 2 seconds they dont work how do i tell if its the controller or the plugs and blockheater should it show on mt temp gauge the its warm because if it should its not working and i put a little gas on a rag and she fires right off any info would help how many omes should the block heater read if its good thanks guys

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The oil leak could be from the oil supply line. A quick check for the glow plugs is to take a test light and clip the wire on it to a positive wire. Then take the wire off of the glow plugs and touch the test light to the top of the glow plugs. If it lights up, the plug isn't burned out. This won't tell you if they are within spec, but is better than nothing. I don't remember the ohms specs for them right now, but you could buy a new one and test it. If you do replace your glow plugs, only use Motorcraft zd9 glow plugs. I don't know the ohms specs for a block heater either, but if it's really quiet, you can hear a "click" sound when you plug in the heater. Also check your cord. It could be bad and your heater good.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the block heater and the glow plug system are in no ways connected; the problem is either with the glow plugs or the controller; or your truck just didn't need that much heat.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably have some bad glow plugs the way the controller is operating. Check them with a test lite, you have to disconnect them to check, using a VOM, the GP resistance is .4 to 1 ohm.

1992F-250IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thank yall for the info i know the block heater is in no way connected to the glowplugs but i dont beleave my heater is working ether if anyone one knows the ohms it would really help

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh, as IDIBRONCO mentioned, I've always listened for the "sizzle, crackle, about 30 seconds after its plugged in.
Also, make sure where the cord plugs into the heater or on the block, make sure that hasn't "unplugged" even a little would make a difference.