Hey Cubey, mirrors!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the reviews for the one I listed above make it obvious that the mirror head is chromed plastic. And that they vibrate a lot.

I guess I'll keep looking around for actual metal ones.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I always park way far away in parking lots, even when I wasn't pulling a trailer, but it takes up a lot more space so I can't go fit into a single parking space, unless I can back in and let the rear overhang over the landscaping, like I did here at a truck stop in Nebraska that was very packed. The rear tires were against the curb, more than likely:

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always heard them referred to as gooseneck towing mirrors.

If you happen to find used ones somewhere the van mirror brackets do not sit correctly on the trucks. Although knowing you, I'm sure you'd figure out how to make it work.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much.

I plan on drilling through the door panel, and installing the legs with stainless 1/4-20 bolts, with nylock nuts.
DON'T DO THAT!
The best and easiest way to mount mirror brackets or other accessories to door panels or body panels and some thicker panels is to use Rivet Nuts (Rivnuts) OR Plus Nuts (+Nuts) You won't have to access the inside of the panels to install.
There are lots of Youtube videos showing how to install them and you don't need to use a Rivnut installer, look around on youtube for D.I.Y instructions.
Same with Plus Nuts but you might need the installer for those.
Examples:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

\

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea, for anyone that doesn't want to have to get up inside the door and deal with a bolt head, or nut, and washer.

But, the contact and 'gription' that you are getting by doing that, is not all that much more than just screwing through the panel with a self tapping screw.

The best connection for something that is going to hang off your door panel and vibrate the way the mirrors do, is to drill through, use a bolt and nylock nut, and two fender washers. One washer inside, one washer outside.

A good solid connection that is much less likely to rattle loose, and protects/strengthens the panel, rather than stresses it. No special tools or techniques needed.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, it looks like this is exactly what you have. Minus the extra supports, and add-ons.

Does this look right to everyone?

I might have to make those extra supports myself, out of some small conduit.
Just a little trick that some people might need. The image above is the driver side mirror. Look at the pivot point where the mirror frame is bolted to the goose neck. That point is about an inch above the horizontal center line of the mirror so the lower part of the mirror is vertically longer than the upper part. If you need to reverse that for adjustment to raise the whole mirror upward, simply remove the mirror at the pivot bolt and switch it with the passenger side mirror. Then the long end of the mirror will be above the pivot bolt and the short end below the bolt.

Here is how I did mine. Passenger side:

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got those kind of mounting arms on my 89 f250.

But they have mirrors on them that aren't any bigger than the car type mirrors on my 91.

I hadn't even thought about just using those arms and putting a bigger mirror on them.

Thank you for the visual.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I've got those kind of mounting arms on my 89 f250.

But they have mirrors on them that aren't any bigger than the car type mirrors on my 91.

I hadn't even thought about just using those arms and putting a bigger mirror on them.

Thank you for the visual.

Bammm! Your in business!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
These are the mirrors that came on my truck. I can see everything with them.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem I am seeing with most new mirror heads is that they make them flimsy. They vibrate a lot.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Problem I am seeing with most new mirror heads is that they make them flimsy. They vibrate a lot.

My old ones do too if the added on 3rd leg support is loose, which is often. Maybe I'll finally fix that soon.