Help! What's wrong with my turbo setup, why no boost?

Mikerson

Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got all of the components for my turbo system together and installed but it seems like there is a problem. The turbo is a factory system from a 93 or 94. I go to start it for the first time and I get nothing from the boost gauge, in-fact, when I rev it, it actually pulls vacuum of a couple psi. The turbo is spinning and I don't really see any leaks around the intake hat. I used a new gasket at the base of that and used permatex on the horn side of the gasket. I put a new o-ring between the snail hat and the turbo.

This is what I know...

*When I sprayed carb cleaner around the base of the intake hat and at the connection between the hat and the turbo the idle didn't change at all.
*The turbo is definitely spinning, but I don't know how fast it should be.
*I know the turbo is getting oil, because the feed tube is hot.
*I turned the injection pump up about 1 flat; there is zero smoke in the exhaust.
*No turbo whistle at all.
*I can create about 1 psi on the boost gauge by blowing on it, so I think the gauge is ok.

I didn't drive it much more than a trip around the block because the rear section of the exhaust is not connected yet. It doesn't feel as peppy as I would expect from what everybody says.

Can't tell if I've got a leak at the up-pipe slip joint or not, but you'd at least expect SOME positive boost. The truck is quieter than I would have expected given that the exhaust pipe ends after the down pipe. I think I've got the wastegate hooked up right, when I pull on the wastegate rod it definitely moves, but doesn't change anything. The spring in there is pretty stiff.

What could be wrong here? Thanks everybody!

Mikerson

Reaction score
Thanks, Doug. As a test, when I was going around the block, I put it in third at pretty low speed and floored the go pedal as well as pushed on the brakes to try to load the engine. Neither of these made my gauge read positive. Would you expect it to, or is this not enough load? Really appreciate the help.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 with the factory turbo setup and sitting still It is hard to make any boost. When you get the truck warm and take it down the road you should see some boost when you run it hard. I see about 1-2 psi running down the road at 65. The most boost I can get it 10 psi and I have the waste gate unhooked. As far a turbo whistle mine doesn't make a lot. You can hear it but it is not loud.

Mikerson

Reaction score
Thanks Cowman. It seems some turbos whistle and some just don't. Doubt there's any way I will hear whistle from mine with the exhaust unhooked.

I'm getting a little blowby out my dipstick tube at idle, but that goes away with increasing rpm. Btw, it isn't shown in the video, but I've got the crankcase vented through the cdr and into a factory turbo airbox.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure the blow by is normal and as far as the turbo whistle goes I think it depends on how much air that they move and ours don't seem to move a lot of air. Mine has a straight exhaust and you can hear a little whistle of you have the passenger window down and pass by a wall or something to redirect the sound.

Mikerson

Reaction score
I see about 1-2 psi running down the road at 65. The most boost I can get it 10 psi and I have the waste gate unhooked.

Do you see 10psi on your way up to 65, or is that only when you are towing or something? Thanks again bud.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
somethings way wrong.without an exhaust hooked up,my banks whistled very,very loud right off idle.
as far as more pep goes,and hardly feeling an increase......that's way off.felt like someone sat another 4 cyls beside my current 8.
no pyro gauge yet? perhaps she just doesn't have enough fuel yet.try another 1/2 a flat up and see if she doesn't spool then.
to check boost,find a hill,stop at the bottom,and and hold WOT to climb it.that or hook onto a trailer.whatever puts a good load on the engine.

Mikerson

Reaction score
no pyro gauge yet? perhaps she just doesn't have enough fuel yet.try another 1/2 a flat up and see if she doesn't spool then.

Got the pyro, I honestly was paying more attention to the boost and kinda didn't watch it. May have to give it more fuel.

to check boost,find a hill,stop at the bottom,and and hold WOT to climb it.that or hook onto a trailer.whatever puts a good load on the engine.

Ok, I'll give that a try. Any way to check for leaks on the pressure side? Spray soapy water?

I agree, something seems wrong. Thanks for the help guys.
Sure wish I didn't have to leave town for a wedding this weekend.

Reaction score
A hill makes for a better test, but you should see near maximum boost even on flat land if you make an honest WOT run.

Mike

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also the tips might be melted off the hot wheel, I see this on over half the turbos I rebuild.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looking for exhaust leaks is kinda tuff right after you have installed a turbo. Any leaks at the joints will show up as black soot in the leaky areas. So driving it some will make this fingerprint. Now about making boost in the driveway reving it up... Thats just not happening ever. Its like posted above. You need a load on the engine like hauling a trailer or wot up a long grade. Watch the boost and the pyro. Actually the pyro is more important to keep an eye on. If the pyro reaches 1100 degrees you will have boost. Just make that your high limit till you feel out this new setup. One never knows how accurate the pyro is..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have leaks on exhaust side....a long reach lighter...think BBQ could be very helpful just flame the joints and watch for any blowing of the flame while truck runs....go slow let flame stay stable...if it suddenly changes...chances are it's a leak....

for intake leaks, a propane torch is all I have ever used without the flame. Just have it on low!