Help stupid electrical problem

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright what the hell did I do??!! I was trying to switch out a switch that I have connected to my backup camera....well I evidently touched two wires or something together and now I have no exterior lights, interior lights, dash lights, cigar lighter no longer works. I checked the fuses in the dash and none are blown??!! :dunno The blinkers still work and hazards, windshield wipers, and electric windows but no door locks either!!??
this really ****** me off too cuz this was just a little stupid afterthought project that I did cuz I found a switch I liked better. Dang it!! Help!! Are there some other master fuses I'm missing somewhere??

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pulled all fuses...nothing blown. On the fuses that are supposed to control the cigar lighter etc...it appears that there is no power to the fuse box itself cuz when I take the fuse out and put a test light on the terminals in the fuse box I get nothing....with key on or in accessory? :dunno So I'm guessing it is something from the battery to the fuse box? Other things that are working properly have power when I take out the fuse and put the probe up in the terminal. I'm at a loss....I hate electrical! Any ideas or suggestions are very much welcomed!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting you should say that cus I thought about that also. It is dark now unfortunately. I was thinking of those too cuz I know there are a bunch there. How can you tell if one is blown? Will the wire just be disinegrated? Will it be a wire that is connected to the starter relay yah think? Thanks!

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
If the wire was a fusible link that blew it will look like someone slit the insulation and pulled some of the wire out a bit(at least thats what mine looked like) I would also look by the starter relay or even on the Pass side inner fender well. or even under the dash. in my chevelle i accidentally had some wires backwards and melted a wire under the dash that was an SOB to find.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I couldn't stand it so I went out and checked it out. This is what I found..
There is a blk/orange or orange/blk...(i don't kow how it goes) wire going to the starter relay. Now it's all coming together. I just had to replace my starter relay a few days ago....and I noticed this wire appeared to be shot (I am ignorant to fusible links). Anyways I attempted to fix this wire and I read that "fusible link needs to be 2 sizes smaller than what it protects" so I got a 14 gauge fusible link but I never installed it because it appears way to small compared to the wire that is there. I just attempted to fix this org/blk wire the best I could. I think this is all coming back to haunt me now. When I was fixing my switch tonight...(I'm getting power for it from the cig lighter) I must have done it in by touching two wires together....anyway....According to the wiring diagram I think this blk/org wire powers this line of fuses in the fuse box....makes sense since all those things no worky. Does anyone know what size this blk/org wire is (it looks to me like it is maybe 8 or 10? And then what size fusible link do I get?
Sorry for the long posts...It is times like this when I really appreciate this board....I was really getting frustrated trying to figure this out. Thanks again!

pafixitman

Reaction score
I knew I should have stopped by last night! I rolled thru GSP at about 85 miles an hour somewhere around 8ish if memory serves me...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric,
Just replace it with one of those nice resetable circuit breakers you can pick up at any NAPA. A 60 amp one should do nicely.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah I did a bunch of research and found that this is a pretty common problem with our trucks. That made me feel better...I think my messing with the switch was what put the link over the edge. I already noticed all this was in bad shape when I replaced the starter solenoid. I guess I shoulda replaced everthing then. I also think the GPC wires heating up is all tied with this. Man when it rains it pours! I still haven't had a chance to flush out my cooling system and replace the coolant after my overheat last week either! :rolleyes: I woulda tried to get it done today but I had to go play golf! LOL Oh well hopefully tomorrow will be nice and I'll try to get it done then. I think I'll start with the electrical then move on to cooling.

Joe I ought to punch yah in the nose!! If I could reach your nose!LOL You rode right by when I was having my nervous breakdown!! I couldn't figure out what the hell!! Why did you drive right by without stopping in!!??!! You were literally 2 mins from the house!!!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got everything back!!!!

Alrighty everything is back to normal except wayyyyy better!! Just an update on this issue in case anyone ever experiences the same thing. After doing a bunch of research these two things are evidently quite a common problem.
1. The original power feeds for the GPC....more on that in a second and

2. The stinkin fusible links! That was the issue with my lights etc. When I got into it today I found a holy hell of a rat's nest!! :puke: PO's obviously had a field day with the wiring.....had open, cut, slit, deteriorated wires everything, everywhere. Ugh what a mess!! Anyway all that is now fixed and replaced! Added an extra fuse box under the hood along with the mega fuse and holder for the GPC mod. :thumbsup:

I would suggest this to everyone whether you are experiencing problems with your GPC or not to run a separate wire to power your GPC. The wires Ford ran originally just weren't made to make it the long haul!! Your connector will most certainly eventually heat up and melt, fry etc. Do this mod now before you run into what I did. Ron (Dsl Dog Catcher) was right about the change in the GPC after this mod....my light clicking and after burn clicking are definately more pronounced. Starting is also night and day!! The truck has always acted like it's -50 degrees outside when I first start it on a "cold' morning (our cold mornings)......well after finally finishing up this evening....it was sleeting if you can believe it so it must have been around 32....anyway she fires right off now....absolutely no complaining!! Huge difference!!! Definately worth doing this!!!
Thanks again to all for your help!! And thank you Ron for letting me bug yah wth questions!

pafixitman

Reaction score
Joe I ought to punch yah in the nose!! If I could reach your nose!LOL You rode right by when I was having my nervous breakdown!! I couldn't figure out what the hell!! Why did you drive right by without stopping in!!??!! You were literally 2 mins from the house!!!

It was late, I was way tired. Flew in from Denver Sat eve and got home at 3 am, left about 9 ish for PA to get the kids, stopped in at Charles Town to lose some money, got to Hunt valley at 2 am. Got the kids at 8 am and drove straight back to GA. Had a nice conversation with a member of the VA Highway Patrol :eek: on the return trip.

We do need to plan something. Been looking (early stages) at Hartwell, Norman etc real estate. ;Really

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
My truck had one of these tires installed already. It's the same gauge wire that runs from the starter relay to the batteries. Someone had installed one from the starter relay to the GP controller. I checked this morning when I was out trying to get her started!

She's outside right now rattling away in the parking lot of a 50 unit apartment complex lol...THAT should make me some friends!!