Help removing oil cooler

smokey_and_freya

Reaction score
My 1994 F-350 4WD turbo IDI is leaking a lot of oil from the front oil cooler seal. I've purchased the o-rings but for the life of me I can't get the darn thing out! I've read up on all of the postings about removing the cooler from below the truck. I've removed the 4 bolts from the rear header (1 shorter bolt, 2 medium length bolts, and 1 long bolt) and I can see a gap between the header/gasket/engine block. I can put a 2x4 against the engine mount and pry the rear header with a crow bar but there is no movement. Are there possibly pins in there? Or something else preventing the rear header from sliding off the oil cooler? Should it slide off gradually or will it "pop" off? Another thing that shouldn't affect anything, but the oil filter is still on the rear header (I crushed it with my POS filter wrench).

Any hints/suggestions?

Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The book states you need to lift the motor and remove the motor mount on the cooler side. When you jack up the motor the bottom rad. hose and fan shroud needs to be unbolted and removed. I have not done this job but others have and didn't need to do these things. Just pry off from the front header. It really is a tight fit in the truck and the bundle is tight fitting in the headers. No pins, just tight fit. The bundle does have 2 alignment tabs but thats the easy part. The o-ring installation is tuff too... From what I hear.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've not had to do this myself either, but all that is holding it together is those rubber O-rings. If you think about how hard it can be to get a rubber bushing out of a rusty piece of metal, you know what your up against. I guess you could try spraying PB Blaster in the gap and see if that helps at all.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go in through the inner fender with a block of wood and hammer it out.the Orings are hard as a rock inside there an stuck to the housing.dont use anything other then a block of wood.put it against the lip of the rear header and start hammering it.it will come out.its just a PITA,been there done that a few times.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
there is nothing else holding it - the bundle is only being held in place by some really old o-rings. the hammer thing should work but as stated only use a block of wood against the header because you don't want to break it.